top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Late on WF student loan before discharge - what to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late on WF student loan before discharge - what to do?

Hello,
    We will be filing Ch 7 next year (Feb or March, probably). My husband's student loan through Wells Fargo hasn't been paid since September. I called to discuss options. If we make 3 "make-up" payments over the next 3 months, the loan will be current and can be put in forbearance. I know when you file, the loan automatically goes into deferment, right? I'd like some advice. I assume it would be beneficial to go into the BK with student loans current or already in a forbearance, in order to (maybe) be easier to manage when we have to start paying them again. Thank you for any help!

Oops - title should say "before filing" not before discharge...

Comment

The loan DOES NOT automatically go into forbearance! Even if current your loan might automatically go into default when you file or get discharged. Before you file have several conversations with your loan company - make sure you are talking to the actual bank/company who loaned you the money and not just the loan servicer, this is very important as the servicer may or may not give you the correct information. Remember also right after you file, your loan company will NOT call you or talk to you about your loan and most likely you won't be able to access it online either. So whatever happens do it before filing. Bringing it current and then getting a forbearance might work as long as you can guarantee that the period from filing to discharge is not greater than the forbearance period because they won't give you an additional forbearance during that time.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X