My 341 Experience -- Northern IL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 341 Experience -- Northern IL

I had my 341 Meeting on 9/27. I was a Chap 7, No Asset, pretty simple and uncomplicated.

When I first arrived for the 1:30 call, they were running about an hour late. If you have your hearing in Kane County, forget about "hearing" other cases. The meetings are held in a private office. This was a great relief to me, it was crappy enough having to be there, let alone having strangers hear you. (And yeah, I know, we're all in the same boat.)

Looking about the holding tank, there were people from all walks of life. Everyone from a woman in nursing scrubs, to a guy wearing shorts and t-shirt. I had dressed business casual as advised by this forum....a below-the-knee dark denim skirt, simple heels, casual jacket/blazer and white blouse. The trustee was wearing dress pants and a button-down dress shirt, no tie. My lawyer was in a suit, as was almost all the attorneys there.

Having my lawyer there was like having a parent there to hold my hand. He went over the questions the Trustee was bound to ask. He advised me not to answer more than a simple "yes" or "no." He soothed my jangled nerves and was worth every cent I paid to him. (If you need an attorney reference, PM me. He rocked.)

By the time it was my turn, I felt a little bit like being led into the principal's office. My Trustee was curmudgeonly old, and looking at him made me wonder if he ever had a happy day in his life. He seemed bored and uninterested in my case. He asked the standard questions....the ones my attorney prepared me for....and by the end of it, he signed the paper and muttered "No asset report."

My advice to you, forum reader, is be sure you're prepared. Over-prepare if you have to. Have that Social Security Card and ID card ready in your hand. My trustee seemed pleasantly surprised that I gave it to him before he even asked. Points for me, eh.

My attorney was shocked he didn't ask me for pay stubs, or even about my car. But let me tell you, I had all of that information ready in a folder on my lap. Do your homework! Because there was a woman there that the Trustee did ask for her pay stubs and her lawyer dropped the ball and did not have them. She had mailed them to him weeks ago and his para-legal screwed it. (I heard her in the lobby giving that attorney the butt reaming of his life.) Even though I had given my attorney pay stubs, I made sure to bring copies just in case.

If you're trying to hide something, you're gonna get busted. If not, the 341 meeting is easy. Mine was simple....stupidly simple.

So now, I wait my 60 days and live by these three words... "Cash is king."

Good luck to you!

--H
    Last edited by hlynn; 09-28-2010, 04:30 AM.

Congratulations on a smooth 341 and welcome to the 60-day club. I agree with you about being prepared and honest. I watched many cases before my own, as they were not in a private office, and the trustee had very little patience for those that were unprepared. Some answered the questions vaguely and I got the impression that one woman was not completely honest, I could be wrong, but that was how she came across. The trustee must have grilled her for 20 minutes and her case was continued. I was prepared and out of all of the cases I watched, mine was the shortest--three minutes at the most.

It is a relief to have that done, now hopefully you'll get your report of no distribtution.
    Filed Chapter 7 on July 30, 2010
    341 scheduled for August 26, 2010 - Done! - Report of No Distribution
    Discharged!!! - November 15, 2010

Comment

One of the cases prior to mine had an entire panel of folks pile into the Trustee's office. (It looked like the clown car emptying at the circus on the way out.) My lawyer made a mention of most of them were most likely the debtor's creditors. Oh dear.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X