341 and no tax returns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

341 and no tax returns

Hello, I just found this forum and the information is so valuable, thanks to all previous posters. I have a question about the 341 meeting, if you have not filed tax returns for more than 10 years, have no bank accounts or other assets, will this be a problem for the trustee at the 341 meeting???
    Thank You
    SunnyFl

From the research I've done for my state, I think you have to file all your tax returns before you can file bankruptcy.... But I'm not positive about that, but it should be easy enough to find out. Someone on here probably knows for sure.

Comment

If you haven't filed tax returns because you didn't have enough income to require filing them, you should be okay. But, if you were required to file but didn't, you are going to have to file returns.
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

I have not had an income in a few years, that is why I do not file. I was wondering if this is going to be a problem during the 341 when they ask for such documentation. IF I had a job or taxable income, I would have filed. Thank You to those who have responded so far.

Comment

If the trustee asks, just say you did not have enough income to require filing tax returns.

From bankruptcy code section 521(e):

(2)
          (A) The debtor shall provide—
          (i) not later than 7 days before the date first set for the first meeting of creditors, to the trustee a copy of the Federal income tax return required under applicable law (or at the election of the debtor, a transcript of such return) for the most recent tax year ending immediately before the commencement of the case and for which a Federal income tax return was filed; and
          If the law doesn't require you to file a return, there is no return to provide.
          LadyInTheRed is in the black!
          Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
          $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X