top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why would someone want to stay off PACER?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why would someone want to stay off PACER?

Why should someone stay out of PACER?

To avoid obsessing over your case. Also, to avoid running up charges viewing documents.

Why do you ask?

The question really is, why does somebody who is represented by an attorney feel the need to be on PACER? Your attorney should keep you informed of what is going on in your case.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Hi ellis2156. I moved your question into a thread of its own, because you posted your question to the end of a thread that is more than a year old. It is the policy of the forum not to resurrect old threads, because with changing laws, the information in them may no longer be correct or timely.

Thank you.

And to answer the question: one reason to stay off PACER is that it can be addictive, and what starts out to be a very minimal charge each time you open and view a document can, if one is not careful, run into several hundred dollars.

One poster, several years ago, was able to include her PACER bill in her filing, and discharge that bill.
      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

ellis2156, you may have seen by now that I also moved one of your questions to a new thread. Don't be afraid to start a new thread to ask your questions.
        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

sorry! I did not notice the date of the thread.

Comment

Sign up for electronic notices and you won't even need PACER. You'll get a link in your inbox to open the document, and there's never a fee.
            All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
            Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
              To avoid obsessing over your case. Also, to avoid running up charges viewing documents.
              What she said.

I ran up $32 the quarter I signed up.
              Filed Chapter 7: March 19, 2012
              Discharged! June 28, 2012
              CLOSED!!! August 8, 2012

Comment

I spent about the same. I checked a lot leading up to the deadline to file claims. Now I check every couple of days and take note of the date of the last filing. If nothing is new, it doesn't cost anything.

Comment

Originally posted by frogger View Post
                  Sign up for electronic notices and you won't even need PACER. You'll get a link in your inbox to open the document, and there's never a fee.
                  How do you do that?

I obsessively check PACER but I don't get charged anything unless there's something new filed and I download it. The sticky thread on PACER was really helpful for me.
                  Chapter 7, above median, no asset. Discharged with no UST involvement.

Comment

All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                    Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X