Details of My 341 Meeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Details of My 341 Meeting

Some additional details on our 341 meeting. Hearing room had an open door with a square table in center, 1 chair for the trustee, 2 chairs directly across & a chair on each side with additional seating chairs spread out along the room side walls, enough chairs for maybe 20 or so people. A few minutes before our scheduled hearing time there were about 10-12 of us waiting for the trustee to arrive.

I think all of us waiting showed some sign of apprehension of what was about to happen , knowing we would soon be sitting at the table being questioned by the trustee. We/ourselves made the decision long before we filed to be completely open & honest in our bankruptcy petition, hiding nothing as we likely had only 1 shot at this & it had to be correct. Still...... the thought of actually sitting at the table, being questioned, was somewhat intimidating.

Trustee arrived, sat down, introduced herself (actually smiled) made a brief statement & then called the first person on the list. Our name was eventually called, took a deep breath, sat at the table across from the trustee with our attorney seated on the side between us & the trustee. The whole process lasted no more than 3-4 minutes. Some of the others who went ahead of us may have had a slightly longer questioning but on average, 5 minutes was about it. Both those filing Pro Se & those filing with the assistance of an attorney were present. I didn't notice any difference in the trustees demeanor or attitude towards those with or without an attorney. If anything, thought the trustee tried to be helpful towards a Pro Se filer who had some type of glitch in his paperwork.

Trustee was completely professional, non-adversarial, cordial, simply asking questions to verify the information listed in the petition. At no time did we observe anyone receive a "trick" question, a question that was designed to trip you up or anything like that. It was not a hard a.. type interrogation session, just fact finding. Almost all questions could be answered by a yes or no. Yes, some did receive a couple followup questions but appeared it was only to clarify an entry on their petition or to a previous answer. And yes, there was a recording device on the table recording all the conversations for future reference.

So, to those who are about to have their 341 & like many others have stated, most likely it will go smoothly, over & done with & you're in the 60 day club. We're almost a year past our filing, discharged & case closed, received a fresh start & well on our way to a new beginning. Filing bankruptcy was a difficult choice but ultimately freeing us from over $100,00 in unsecured debt. Looking back, should have done it 2 years sooner.

None of us ever expected we'd wind up facing bankruptcy, sleepless nights & despair. There's certainly fear of the unknown but this Bankruptcy Forum is a wonderful place to get some "been there / done that" insight & advise on bankruptcy. To all of you who frequent this forum, my very best wishes to you.....don't give up!
    Last edited by LadyInTheRed; 11-21-2013, 09:56 AM.

skblue69,

Thank you for sharing your experience. It will help others see that a 341 meeting is nothing to be afraid of.

It would be a shame to have this detailed account hidden at the end of another thread. So, I put it in a new thread where people who are looking for 341 stories can more easily find it. I also put line spacing between your paragraphs to make it easier to read.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

thanks for sharing, and you're right none of us expected to be in the position of filing bankruptcy. it's such a difficult process.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X