effect of marriage on bankruptcy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

effect of marriage on bankruptcy

If I get married 2 months before the end of my Ch. 13 bankruptcy, will I be considered as having more income and therefore liable for more repayment of my debt?

Hi..congratulations if that is what’s happening with you. If there’s another answer, I’m sure someone will respond..but I’m thinking that being right at the end of your plan, that won’t have an effect on your plan.
    Filed Chapter 13 - 07/20/12
    Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

I agree with sophieanne, at the very end of your plan all that's left is a few payments from you to the Trustee, a few more from the Trustee to your creditors, and then some paperwork. At this point it is pretty much all pro-forma.

Said another way, it is highly unlikely the Trustee will even know you've gotten married, and if he/she does find out, I rather doubt they'd care.
      Latent car nut.

Comment

Thanks to you, both Sophieanne and Shipo, for your response . I was hoping that, since it will be at the end of the bankruptcy, it would not matter.

Comment

Technically your household has changed and a new Schedule I/J would be done. I had to do this because I married during after the third month in Chapter 13. But, if you're very close to the end of the Chapter 13, I don't see any Chapter 13 Trustee wasting the time to try to file a Motion to Modify Confirmed Plan and have that granted in any reasonable time.

I would think that most Chapter 13 Trustees would just say congratulations.

Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thanks Justbroke. I will be less than 2 months away from the end so I think you are right. I am going to go ahead and take that chance!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X