Middle District FL and BK filing fee process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Middle District FL and BK filing fee process

This may be a dumb question, but I am a little confused - since Middle district "strongly encourages" filing via email and the intake windows are closed, do I send payment first and wait a few days and then submit my petition? Or should I send everything by mail (including the payment)?

I am paying the fee in full (low income, but apparently not low enough to waive the filing fee).

Thank you!

You usually pay the filing fee at the same time that you file. You can always call the Clerk's office and ask.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

The intake windows are closed and they are encouraging filing via email, so payment would have to be mailed. Just not sure if I should do that prior to submitting my petition or filing by mail altogether. I will try to reach out to them.

Comment

I think that if you can't pay at the same time, then you can mail it in after you get a case #. I think they wait so many days. I would contact the Intake Clerk at the Middle District for specific instructions.

The Temporary Order: https://pacer.flmb.uscourts.gov/admi....asp?FileID=94

Take note to the notices for Pro Se: Pro se parties who need assistance or have questions regarding these procedures for filing in any Division may contact the Clerk’s Office at 813-301-5319.

As a Pro Se, you must still physically mail in the paperwork (see the temporary order mentioned above).

Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

After a very lengthy recording, I was able to reach a human. You are correct, in that they give you a few days to send the payment after assigning a case number (14 days).

So I think I will file via email, and then just send payment with a hard copy of the petition which I will send Priority Mail or some other method with tracking.

I am overthinking everything because I am nervous.

Comment

It's okay, when you're Pro Se, to be cautious and to double check everything. I would send the petition via Priority Mail with a signature required.

Comment

Will do. Got my case number - submitted petition online Friday, will mail docs and payment Monday.

I can't wait for creditors to stop calling - I would love to pick up the phone and tell them I filed, but I have no attorney and I don't want to advertise that fact to them.

I thought they were also notified electronically, but I guess they are notified by mail only.

Comment

Some creditors are electronically notified. It depends on how the address matches between the matrix, the Electronic Bankruptcy Noticing Center (EBN), and the court. I think that I had about 10 of my creditors that were all matched electronically. Large creditors tend to pay for automatic notification of any bankruptcy filing (via the credit bureaus). The credit bureaus seem to subscribe to the EBN notifications and usually add a bankruptcy into the public record section of your credit report with 48-72 hours of filing.

Once you have your case #, it is fun to answer the phone and tell them to go away. The issue is that they will want to know your attorney's phone number. You'll have to say what I said. "I'm Pro Se and I'm the attorney of record." I had a few that didn't grasp the concept and kept asking for my attorney information. I just told them that I have just given them the case #, filing date, and district and they are now stayed from any further collection activity as this constitutes actual notice. That seemed to work.

Comment

I will give it a few more days, but most of my creditors were major banks, so I was hoping they would be e-notified. I called my case manager and she basically said some are, some aren't (notified electronically).

If they are still calling me by Friday, I will pick up the phone and give them my case number. I really would rather not speak to them.

Comment

It's exhilarating to pick up the phone with the power of the bankruptcy court and bankruptcy stay behind you. My phone stopped ringing within 48-72 hours but I answered most of them anyhow.

Comment

I guess...I just wish I had an attorney to talk to them instead. So far so good, everything is in Pacer, MEANSNO is shown. Court received full packet and payment has been processed.

I guess I should take the final debtor's course now?

Comment

You can take it anytime before discharge. You can get it out of the way if you choose to do it now.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X