top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

15% allowance for Charitable Contribution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

15% allowance for Charitable Contribution?

Did anyone ever take advantage of this during means test calculations? I didn't put anything in while doing a dry run, but anyone actually use this in the proceedings?

a lot depends on your trustee but this was put into the new law for those families who tithe to the church. It had to be ongoing and provable that was happening even before filing for bk. Although all trustee's handle it their own way.

Comment

I thought the number was 10% but I haven't looked at the forms in a while.

But, as a general rule, you need to be actually incurring the expense.

Comment

I did put in my charitable contributions, although they were much much less than 15% (about 1-2%). My trustee allowed it, but maybe because it was for such a small amount and I'm paying back a fairly large amount to my creditors, so nothing was ever said about it. Don't know if there would have been issues if it had been a bigger amount or if my payback was lower...
        Filed CH 13 September 17, 2007
        Plan Modified July 8, 2009 from $1100/month to $400/month due to change in income, finally discharged in July of 2013!

Comment

I believe mine is at 4%. The law allows for up to 15% to be declared. The Trustee will generally ask for proof of anything over 5% (my guess). You can prove this by a receipt from the organization, canceled checks, or prior year tax returns.

My tax returns have always shown $5-6K in charitable contributions. I didn't need to provide other proof.
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X