(*(*( Day in a Life of a Trustee )*)*)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(*(*( Day in a Life of a Trustee )*)*)

Could someone tell me what will my life be with my Trustee once the plan is confirmed?

The reason for my question is since my attorney is already projecting a 60 month plan (which seems like forever - heck it's 1/2 a decade) - I want to hear your stories about what it will be like for the most part month to month - quarterly and/or annually.

I almost feel like I am going to marry my Trustee so I might as well make it a good relationship from the start.

1. Do they nickel and dime me on my expenses throughout the year - asking me questions about this and that?

2. Do I have to send it paperwork to them - like income tax returns every spring time? What about bank account statements?

3. What kind of tips can you give me on how to have a good relationship with my Trustee so the 60 months will go smoothly for me?

Thanks All.
    Filed March 2009

Easy answer.

You send a check, the trustee cashes the check.
    Trustee writes a check to your creditors.

Next month
    You send a check, the trustee cashes the check.
    Trustee writes a check to your creditors.

And "maybe", if your trustee requires it, you mail them a copy of your tax return once a year.

That's about it. After confirmation, you will have little, if any, direct contact with your trustee.

Comment

Not unless I want to have a hot date with them right? LOL!

Well, I hope it's that simple. I've heard horror stories where the Trustee notices something odd during the course of the year and so I was just wondering if anyone has experience odd relationships with their trustee while in the plan.
      Filed March 2009

Comment

The only time I have heard chapter 13 trustees being more hands-on throughout the year is if the debtor's income is primarily from self employment. In which case, the trustee may require quarterly or monthly income reports. Otherwise, so long as you send your payment, the trustee is not going to care.

What horror stories have you heard?
        Last edited by HHM; 01-05-2009, 03:28 PM.

Comment

I heard how some trustees can be cruel to the bk candidate by always checking up on them just to make sure they could make their payments.

I guess you are right - with so many more BKs being started this year due to the economic crisis, I can't imagine any trustee taking their precious time to check every single person on their file.
          Filed March 2009

Comment

Originally posted by simon2020 View Post
            I heard how some trustees can be cruel to the bk candidate by always checking up on them just to make sure they could make their payments.

I guess you are right - with so many more BKs being started this year due to the economic crisis, I can't imagine any trustee taking their precious time to check every single person on their file.
            Been in ch13 since '05 with trustee taking payments from check. Heck we've got a better relationship with our trustee than our attorney. They even gave us a little kick-back for this past Christmas.

We did have to verify our expenses every year, but trustee left our tax returns alone. To be honest with you, after a few months you don't even think about it any more.
            Filed CH13:10/14/05
            341 Mtg: 12/5/05
            Case Closed: 10/31/08; 11/28/08; 12/31/08 1/31/09 2/28/09 Finally 3/12/09
            Discharge: 3/12/09 YEAH!!!!!

Comment

Hi bpn2009 -- You mentioned the trustee checked on your expenses every year.

what is the process I might experience? 1. Should I write down everything I spend or use a Quicken type software to keep track of my expenses?

2. Do I need to keep receipts?

3. Did your trustree scrutinize any particular expense(s) during your plan?

Thanks!
              Filed March 2009

Comment

We've only been in 13 since July.....and we send a check every month. My understanding from the printed material he gave us is that if we MISS a payment...we're in trouble. If we MISS a payment on our car, the credit company will notify him ....we're in trouble. If we MISS a payment on our house, the mortgage company will notify him.....we're in trouble. We're one of the lucky ones that gets to send any tax refund to the trustee......booooo hooooo.

Comment

Originally posted by simon2020 View Post
                  Hi bpn2009 -- You mentioned the trustee checked on your expenses every year.

what is the process I might experience? 1. Should I write down everything I spend or use a Quicken type software to keep track of my expenses?

2. Do I need to keep receipts?

3. Did your trustree scrutinize any particular expense(s) during your plan?

Thanks!
                  It wasn't very difficult, just follow your established plan (your living expenses).

You will not need to receipts or special software. They didn't really question our bills, but we found out that listing any type of savings is a lightening rod for attention. They took an additional $100 per month, but we still managed to sock some cash away.

It wasn't really anything to worry about. Our trustee was pretty cool and worked with us through the entire process.

Comment

Originally posted by Introuble2008 View Post
                    We've only been in 13 since July.....and we send a check every month. My understanding from the printed material he gave us is that if we MISS a payment...we're in trouble. If we MISS a payment on our car, the credit company will notify him ....we're in trouble. If we MISS a payment on our house, the mortgage company will notify him.....we're in trouble. We're one of the lucky ones that gets to send any tax refund to the trustee......booooo hooooo.
                    You don't send payments too your trustee for disbursement?

Comment

I am currently in a 60 month Chapter 13 with 16 payments remaining. Once we were confirmed, we never had a problem with the trustee. Never hear from him either except for the bi-annual statements that we receive from his office. Just like HHM said, you send a payment once a month, the trustee takes the payment and disburses the $$, etc. etc. I never thought that it was going to be this easy!!
                      sigpicPersevere: "To continue a course of action, in spite of difficulty, opposition or discouragement."

Chapter 13: Discharged 03/15/2010. Closed 05/19/2010::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post
                        The only time I have heard chapter 13 trustees being more hands-on throughout the year is if the debtor's income is primarily from self employment. In which case, the trustee may require quarterly or monthly income reports. Otherwise, so long as you send your payment, the trustee is not going to care.

What horror stories have you heard?
                        It depends on the trustee, right? Like my dad is self employed but that doesn't automatically mean that the trustee is going to ask for income reports?

Comment

$$only4ever - are your payments paid by cashiers check or is it being deducted from your paycheck?
                          Filed March 2009

Comment

My attorney said as long as you stay under the radar (making your payments on time, never late, etc.) that you will never hear from the trustee except for the automatically generated statements each year.

I wouldn't worry too much about the trustee once you get confirmed as long as you make your payments on time.
                            Chapter 13 Filed 4/03/06 :blink: 341 Meeting Complete 5/11/06 :yes2:
                            Plan Confirmation 6/16/06 :yahoo:
                            Discharged: 1/5/2010 :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

What happens if you lose a job

and you can't pay the trustee, what next?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X