top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can you include a bounced check in CH13?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can you include a bounced check in CH13?

We had a checking account we had to close, since a checkbook was stolen out of our car. There were 3 checks that hadn't cleared yet when we closed the account, and went back NSF/Closed account. I have goten letters from the companies. Can I include these in my BK, or should I pay them out right?

Also, the bank charged us $37.50 six times, to return the checks (deposited 2x each), so now we owe the bank $225 in OD fees, can we include this also?

Thanks.

Originally posted by 95kindebt View Post
    We had a checking account we had to close, since a checkbook was stolen out of our car. There were 3 checks that hadn't cleared yet when we closed the account, and went back NSF/Closed account. I have goten letters from the companies. Can I include these in my BK, or should I pay them out right?

Also, the bank charged us $37.50 six times, to return the checks (deposited 2x each), so now we owe the bank $225 in OD fees, can we include this also?

Thanks.
    I included a bounced check, and an overdrawn bank account in my plan. The company that I bounced a check to, did not file a claim, nor did the bank where I had the overdrawn account. The bounced check was for $126, and the overdrawn account was -$360.
    Filed: 5/22/07; 341 Hearing: 6/27/07;
    Confirmed: 8/13/07; DISCHARGED 4/17/2012

Comment

Just know if you don't satisfy those accounts with the bank, they will put you on chexsystems, if they haven't already! That will make it very difficult for you to get another account. I assume you opened an account right after you closed the original one? If so then you should be good. I believe you stay on chexsystems for 5 years.

Comment

In my district, at least, the answer is 'no'. A check is not a debt, it's a draft on existing funds. The overdraft fees, however, are debts and can be discharged. The exception is the check advance places. Bad checks to them are dischargeable because the check is written with the knowledge that the funds aren't present and the check is post dated.

Even if you manage to discharge the financial responsibility for the check, be aware that in most states writing hot checks is a crime. Bankruptcy won't affect your criminal liability.
        Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X