top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to tell the credit card companies...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to tell the credit card companies...

I'm filing chapter 13 no later than the end of the month. I've stopped making payments on my credit cards, and they are all one month late now. Credit card companies have started to call to ask about the status of their payment.

What does everyone recommend my response is between now and when I file?

I'm thinking that telling them I'm going to file bankruptcy isn't the best thing to tell them until it happens?

Thoughts?

Just tell them you can't pay now, and will know something within the next 4 weeks. Offer them nothing else. Don't promise to pay, don't give them a postdated check.... nothing.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Just so I know, what happens if I promise to pay?

Prior to this post I got a call from a CC company and I told them I would have to wait until the next payroll on the 18th before I would be "able" to pay.

I don't feel like I implied that I would pay them on the 18th.

Comment

It's just not good to get into payment discussions when you know you can't pay. It's best to tell them that you can't pay, don't know when you'll be able to, and will know something in 4 weeks or so.

Otherwise, you're just playing their game.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

You also might want to consider just answering the phone, and setting it down on a shelf and walk away. There is nothing you can say to them, or them to you to change the situation...so why listen/talk at all?

I wish you the best.
          8-07-09-filed Chapter 7
          11-18-09-DISCHARGED!!

Life is not what challenges you face, but how you face those challenges.

Comment

I was told by my lawyer whe I started the process and stopped paying them that if they call tell them that you cant pay them now and do what you have to do and hang up. Once I signed all the paperwork I then told them that I filed and at that point the calls stop.
            Filed 11-19-09
            341 12-30-09
            8 payments down 52 to go

Comment

This will be the first time in over 10 years we have missed (or even been late) on a CC bill. So when they call I know what I would like to tell them...

We had an agreement, where I had a $25,000 limit and a balance of $11,000 I was paying 2.9% interest. When you lowered my limit to my balance so you could raised the interest to 29% you voided our agreement. Call her anytime you like, I have a lot more to add. Then I would hang up.
              In a perfect world every dog has a home, and every home has a dog.

Comment

I was only one payment behind with most of my creditors prior to filing. My response to creditor calls was "Hakuna is unavailable at this time. Please leave a message". Quick and polite...through voicemail! I knew I was filing and made the decision to save my exempt breath.
                *Filed: September 23, 2009 *341: November 4, 2009 *Discharged: January 4, 2010 *Closed: January 20, 2010

Hakuna Matata...it means NO WORRIES!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X