average time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

average time

Just wondering what the average time is to file after retaining attorney and turning in requested paper work? It has been 10 days since we have and we have heard nothing. Just wondering.

Average time is not going to tell you how long it will be before your petition is filed. Why not call your attorney to confirm they received everything they need from you and ask when you can expect the petition to be ready?
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
      Average time is not going to tell you how long it will be before your petition is filed. Why not call your attorney to confirm they received everything they need from you and ask when you can expect the petition to be ready?
      Concur; believe it or not, not all BK firms operate the same way. Firms are all over the map with their systems and efficiency. Unfortunately, too many firms do not know how to operate like a business. Your attorney should have at least set an expectation for you. i.e. Once we receive your docs, we have the case prepared in 2 weeks etc.

Some firms can do cases in a matter of days, others it can take a few weeks, It really just depends.

Comment

Our attorney has been working on ours for a month. Finally signing the papers on Tuesday.
        Our attorney told us he had another client in front of us and we would have to wait. Then I had to give him all the paper work again because he said he didn't have the cc account numbers and addresses which I gave to him at the first meeting.

Comment

We retained our attorney in September and our petition was not filed until November. Not sure if that is the norm.

Comment

Let me see, here's my money for your service in advance, but I'm not going to ask when you intend to file.

That's your fault for not clarifying that at that time.

I would ask when.

I would set the parameters of communication.

You have to remember you are the customer they are your employee.

If you think of the relation like that you'll should also get their respect that they can't walk all over you.

Be assertive not passive.

Comment

Hmmm...that attitude does not make the milk from the cow come faster.

Comment

It really depends on your paperwork and your attorney. Ours has had the final paperwork for about two weeks and we are filing by the end of the month. We first met with our attorney last month and have had two meetings. Wish it had been a lot quicker, but we have a lot of paperwork for them to go through and I definitely want them to be thorough.

Don't for a second, hesitate to contact your attorney's office. That's what they are there for. I have contacted them three times in the last week, just checking in to make sure they have everything they need and to see how they were coming on the paperwork. Especially if you have questions that you need answered just to ease your mind, you should call.

And as a reminder, you are paying them and they are working for you.

Comment

Be specific, ask what date you are to come in to sign and what date will filing take place. You may think you are being a pest, but the dog that barks the loudest gets fed first.
                  Indiana Filed March 9, 2010;
                  341- April 28, 2010;
                  Confirmed May 25, 2010;
                  $1,240 a month; 4 down & 56 to go

Comment

BTW - I knew what date it was to be filed, and called that afternoon to confirm that it had been done. I have found that being very friendly to staff is helpful because they can be ver helpful.
                    Indiana Filed March 9, 2010;
                    341- April 28, 2010;
                    Confirmed May 25, 2010;
                    $1,240 a month; 4 down & 56 to go

Comment

Of course we asked that question. Please don't comment unless you know what your talking about. Don't imply that everyone is as clueless as yourself. lol

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X