Chapter 13 and the means test?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chapter 13 and the means test?

Lets say you want to pay back some of your debt but you passed the means test for Chapter 7. Is there anyway a payback plan of say $50 a month could be reached? The total debt unsecured is about 80,000.00

It probably would not benefit anyone other than your atty and the trustee. If your intent is to make an effort to repay something to your creditors, your mission would fail I think.

Atty's usually charge more for a 13 than for a 7 - with part of their fee being paid in the plan. And the TT gets 5-10% off the top of what you pay in. So most likely, if you worked with your atty and insisted on filing a ch. 13 then all (or most) of what you paid in would go to your atty & trustee.
    Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
    (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

Originally posted by peppymom View Post
      Lets say you want to pay back some of your debt but you passed the means test for Chapter 7. Is there anyway a payback plan of say $50 a month could be reached? The total debt unsecured is about 80,000.00
      You can pay anyone you wish after discharge of a Chapter 7. There is absolutely no need to enter in to a Chapter 13 just to pay $50 to unsecured creditors. The attorney fees alone for a Chapter 13 are much higher than what you are proposing to pay.

Just realized that Smga and I were typing at the same time, nearly the same reply :-)
      Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
      I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X