Any CA state employees on here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any CA state employees on here?

Have you spoken with your attorney to figure out what you're going to do if we get dropped to minimum wage on Aug.1? Will the courts most likely allow us to skip payments while we're on min. wage and then repay them in a lump sum when our wages are back to normal and we get our retro check?

I'm getting ready to email my attorney, but I know it'll probably take a few weeks to get an answer from him about it and I'm wondering if someone has already determined how the trustee(s) are planning to handle all of us CA employees....
    Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
    0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

My husband works for the State of CA, but I haven't heard anything on this. He knows I stress, so maybe he's keeping quite about it-it could also be that his agency is exempt. I'm so tired of our CA budget.
    Retained atty 3/2010. Filed Chapter 13 on 1/2013.

Comment

Originally posted by sheilaE View Post
      My husband works for the State of CA, but I haven't heard anything on this. He knows I stress, so maybe he's keeping quite about it-it could also be that his agency is exempt. I'm so tired of our CA budget.
      It may only be state employees that are paid from the general fund. If the budget doesn't pass, the governor is planning to reduce state employees to federal minimum wage (which is actually lower than state min. wage!) until the budget is passed. At that point, employees will be paid all their retro pay from the months of min. wage. He did the same thing last year, but the state controller refused to do it and took him to court. Unfortunately, the courts found for the governor, so if it happens this year, the controller will have to issue the min. wage checks rather than full checks....

Here's a link: http://www.sacbee.com/2010/06/10/281...feds-help.html
      Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11

Comment

On a side note: if you're wanting to file ch.7 but your income is too high, a couple months on minimum wage should take care of that! You'll have to time it perfectly though....

Comment

I'm a University of California employee - - considered "affiliated" with the State of California but not a "true" State employee.

I've been furloughed 6% of my income since September 2009. Furloughs are "supposed to end" September 2010 - - I don't see where the Univ of CA is short $12M in one year and all of a sudden $12M shows up the next year thereby ending the furloughs...

My atty suggested I file CH7 in the next month or two in the event furloughs truly end in September (for lookback period).

Comment

Yeah, our 15% in furloughs was supposed to end in July. However, Arnold is simply changing the furlough over to 1. 5% straight pay cut. 2. 5% additional paid towards retirement and 3. continue with 1 furlough each month. So we're not getting any money back. Half of dh's co-workers have had to file bk and/or lose their houses over these darned furloughs...

Supposedly the min. wage issue will effect 241k state employees and 71k university employees....

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X