top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In Ch 13 Plan now - just got a lien placed on a rental property during automatic sta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Ch 13 Plan now - just got a lien placed on a rental property during automatic sta

I've got a weird situation. I had filed a CH7 BK last year that discharged the debt from a piece of rental property that I own but, of course, the lien remains. I subsequently filed a CH 13 BK to take care of some things that were out of reach of the CH 7. In between, the lawn on the rental property had become overgrown.

I did get it taken care of but not fast enough since I racked up $5500 in violations from the city. The hearing took place and the total violation was determined in January 2010. I filed the CH 13 BK in February of 2010 and listed the city as a creditor. The city was allocated $0.00 since my disposable income would just about cover attorneys fees, property taxes in arrears and the trustee fees.

I was under the impression that the fine would follow the rental home but was surprised to find out that in July 2010, a lien had been placed on the property - what I expected - but the language "this is a lien on the property at XXX 123 St and any and all real or personal property owned by the defendant in the county of ABC Florida" (I paraphrase). The CH 13 has made my financial liability $0 but it clouds any property I own including my homestead if I am interpreting this correctly.

In my CH 13 plan, I have surrendered the property. My last payment was Aug of 2008. I have gone through four sets of buyers with decent offers trying to short sell the house - with the permission of the trustee when needed - but the bank would not accept - now it's worth many thousands less.

A few questions: Is this lien over-reaching or even valid since it will be a discharged debt at the end of the CH13? Is filing a lien during my CH 13 (6 months after the pre-filing date) allowable - I would imagine it violates the automatic stay? How do I shake this lien? I want a clean start without that lien hanging around my neck.

Thank for any info or advice,
    Brian

Originally posted by BrianBMS View Post
    A few questions: Is this lien over-reaching or even valid since it will be a discharged debt at the end of the CH13? Is filing a lien during my CH 13 (6 months after the pre-filing date) allowable - I would imagine it violates the automatic stay? How do I shake this lien? I want a clean start without that lien hanging around my neck.
    It depends entirely on the disposition of the rental property in your Chapter 13. Did you propose to surrender it? If you proposed to surrender, then the property is no longer under the protection of the automatic stay once your plan was confirmed.

Additionally, if this was a "fine", it's a totally different animal. Fines are non-dischargeable anyhow. The city may have messed up with the lien, and you may be able to file a motion to avoid lien because they attached a lien during the pendency of your bankruptcy... IF... the property is afforded the stay protection (by being in the plan). However, certain liens are allowed to be recorded and are not a violation of the stay.

This is an area where competent legal advice is necessary since it involves property and liens. Since the lien is for a fine, the fine itself may be non-dischargeable. This probably needs a complaint (adversary proceeding) to render a decision from the judge. It would be a complaint to determine non-dischargeability. You may also have a stay violation, but I'm not "THAT" good at stay issues involving federal, state or local governmental entities with pre-petition debt.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

You indicated that you received a Chapter 7 Discharge last year. If that is correct and the fine is assessed against you personally as the current title owner to the property (as well as becoming a lien against the property) 1 month prior to filing the 13, why do you think it will be discharged? You are not going to get a Chapter 13 Discharge. I'm just not following your issue.

Des.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X