Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claiming medical expenses paid via trustee in 2010 on tax return

Hello Forum,

We noticed on our Trustee's semi-annual report the Trustee paid numeorus old medical bills from 2006-2008 in the year 2010 via our Plan. Also, made payment with including interest on a 'business" vehicle. Since they were paid in 2010 would think we could claim them..but not sure.

Question: Since the medical bills were paid in 2010. Can I claim these deductions?
    Also, can I claim the interest Paid on the business vehicle?

I suppose the Semi annual report can be used as my receipt of monies paid, in case of audit etc.

We are a small Business with Schedules A, C.

Many thanks for your responses.

You can only claim medical expenses if they exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income. It's always been my experience that you can claim whatever you paid for the year (if they meet the 7.5%) regardless of when the bills were incurred.

If you are using a program such as TurboTax, they walk you through everything. They have a business edition available online. If you are using an experienced tax professional such as a CPA (NOT a place like H&R Block or Jackson Hewitt) they should be able to tell you what you can and cannot claim.

Comment

The fact that you paid the expenses through the trustee doesn't make any difference. Whatever you paid to the trustee for medical expenses in 2010 are deductible to the same extent they would be if you paid them directly.
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X