Being billed for business property tax bill that was included in my plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being billed for business property tax bill that was included in my plan

I don't see anything like this here so I thought I would post. I received a "demand" today after business hours and I'd like to see if anybody has any ideas.

Last year I closed my business location, scaling it back to just an internet business, keeping almost no inventory. In August I received a personal property tax bill for fiscal 2010, for $800, which was listed as a "priortiy claim" creditor on my matrix. Though I'n not "confirmed" yet, I filed the end of October.

Then last week, I received a phone call from the city, wanting to know where to send their bill for fiscal 2010. I told them that I declared bankruptcy last year, and that bill was listed. The collector replied: I know what I'll do and then hung up the phone.

Today I received a bill with $100 extra interest, a demand of $30 and something called "other" $25 added on. Should I just call the tax collector, and give him my case number and attorney's phone number? Isn't this some sort of "automatic stay" violation? My city is just awful, I had to make about six phone calls to make them remove a past due water bill that was listed. (Unfortunately this is the same tax collector.) They kept trying to claim, "Well we just have to leave it there along with the current bill just so we know it's there, though we can't do anything." Yeah, right:-)

Well thanks in advance.

Sounds like my City. Anyway, I do believe they have violated. If it were me, I'd write the person by name with a CC to your lawyer and the City Manager/or Mayor, and insist on cease and desist. I am not sure about the taxes being dischargeable, although you could ask them for an itemized bill without penalties. I believe you have it over them. Please contact your lawyer of course. 'Hub
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Thanks Hub. I'll contact my lawyer tomorrow. I'm not sure about taxes being dischargeable either, but as I understand it they were already listed as a priority claim to be paid back 100% through my plan. I don't want to pay twice! :-)

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X