Checking in to say hi...2 yrs in to our ch 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Checking in to say hi...2 yrs in to our ch 13

I wanted to stop by and say hello to the boards. I have not been here in months and got a "We miss you email"

We filed in July 2009, first payment Aug 2009. It was a hard first year but these boards got me thru the planning, filing, and the aftermath. It was wonderful to have the support and understanding that you can only get from others in the same boat as you. It was such a refuge for me those first months. Plus it took almost a YEAR...yes a YEAR to get confirmed and these boards really helped get me through that. It was such a relief to get confirmed!!

The first 6 months was the transition to no credit cards...and I will be completely honest.........IT SUCKED and it was really really hard to transition to all cash. We felt like such losers too...and just so broke. It was a life changing event and really eye opening to how we had lived above our means for so many years. It was a life lesson for us....and we are still learning.

We are now almost to the 2 yr anniv and we have adjusted really well. We feel very proud of ourselves for living credit free. You really learn to value what you spend when its always cash. I miss having credit cards some times...I will admit....so I know I still have more to learn!!

It feels SOOOO good to know we will be debt free in just 3 yrs. We were able to wipe a 2nd/3rd mortgage too. We will own 1 of our cars. and we will owe no consumer debt other than a car and our house. amazing!!!

We have managed to build a savings, take a couple small trips, and pretty much live normal but so much more understated than we did before.

I want to tell all of you just starting...you will get thru. You can do it, it WILL get better. It was the best financial decision we have ever made (not really a choice).

I will say that my best advice - get a good lawyer!!!!!! getting a payment you can manage is really the key to a successful ch 13.

Our next hurdle....replacing a car when the lease is up next Spring....curious to see how that goes credit, payment, % wise. Crossing our fingers for good results. We do have a lot of previous car credit that is ALL in good standing...both current car loans in good standing...so...I will let you guys know how that goes.

Sorry for the long post....had lots to say

Filed July 09
    Confirmation - June 2010
    Final Payment - June 2014 - 7/2/14 DISCHARGED

Great to hear from you, indebt00, and great to know you are doing well! Our new Ch 13 filers will benefit from you sharing your experiences and your wise advice.

Hang in there - every year living on cash gets easier and easier. Withdrawal from credit is like any addiction - time and a much healthier 'addiction' (the great feelings you have now knowing you finally control your money instead of the other way around) help so much!
    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Way to go indebt00! its a hard road but it is doable - as you are proof of that . Keep trekking on - before you know it you'll see that wonderful word... "DISCHARGED"

Comment

COngratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's wonderful to see you can live under Ch 13!!!!

May I ask why it took a year for confirmation? We're making our fist Ch 13 payment in a week or two, then onto the 341...

Comment

Indebt00: Congrats on the 2 years. We're still not confirmed and it will be a year in July. Some days we stress about this, others days we don't. 9 payments made on time, 51 left. We actually found not having credit cards much easier to live without. It is hard, but like you we cannot wait for the end. Again we still have some bad days, but it's because we're still waiting for confirmation.

Comment

Congrat! We're in the same boat. Sometimess the wave in the ocean is so breezy other times its calm. I just completed my 36mos in a 60mos plan. It feels great to just spend cash only without worrying about getting a bill at a later day. No cash, I don't buy. I have learned to budget wisely and put aside cash for emergencies. All is working out well and I'm slowly trekking to the finish line. Keep doing what you are doing.
            Other members of the bk family would survive because we're all survivors and are doing what we have to do to start over afresh.

Comment

Originally posted by IamOld View Post
              COngratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's wonderful to see you can live under Ch 13!!!!

May I ask why it took a year for confirmation? We're making our fist Ch 13 payment in a week or two, then onto the 341...
              It took a year because our state is so busy with ch 13's. It was stressful waiting to see if we would get "confirmed"...always wondering if the payment would go up. In the end we were ok...no big suprises. again..>GOOD lawyer is important here!!!

Filed July 09
              Confirmation - June 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Home1 View Post
                Congrat! We're in the same boat. Sometimess the wave in the ocean is so breezy other times its calm. I just completed my 36mos in a 60mos plan. It feels great to just spend cash only without worrying about getting a bill at a later day. No cash, I don't buy. I have learned to budget wisely and put aside cash for emergencies. All is working out well and I'm slowly trekking to the finish line. Keep doing what you are doing.
                Other members of the bk family would survive because we're all survivors and are doing what we have to do to start over afresh.
                Budgeting is key to surviving in a bk and an affordable payment....that really makes it work. We also set aside for emergencies/repairs. It is very liberating to be able to pay my bills and not stress about how I am going to make it this month...which I had done for years.....this way is easier as far as that goes. there is less stress about money, that is for sure!!!

Filed July 09
                Confirmation - June 2010

Comment

Thanks indebt00. It took almost a yr to be confirmed because I initially filed pro se and messed up and had an adversary which led me to have an attorney which in turn advised that I convert from chp 7 to 13. While waiting to settle, an hurricane came along which led to further delay and the court was backed up....before judge accepted the plan. I must say the plan is favorable.

Comment

Originally posted by Home1 View Post
                    Thanks indebt00. It took almost a yr to be confirmed because I initially filed pro se and messed up and had an adversary which led me to have an attorney which in turn advised that I convert from chp 7 to 13. While waiting to settle, an hurricane came along which led to further delay and the court was backed up....before judge accepted the plan. I must say the plan is favorable.
                    A good plan and payment is really key to being able to complete a ch 13...not that we are complete...only 1/2 way there...but it really makes all the difference.

Filed July 09
                    Confirmation - June 2010

Comment

The first 6 months was the transition to no credit cards...and I will be completely honest.........IT SUCKED and it was really really hard to transition to all cash.
                      That's for sure! I am newly confirmed and 7/48 months into my c13. Every time something comes up, some want, need or emergency, I still find myself thinking: Oh, I'll just put it on a card. Then, I remember and find some way to "scratch it up" or if it's only a want, then WAIT. No wonder I was in trouble. LOL

indebt00, Congratulations! I really enjoyed your post. It's nice to see that 13s are doable.

Comment

I am a new filer also, ready to make # 5. Ok so far without credit cards, but I do miss them, lol. Miss the good sales waiting for the next paycheck, but after a day or so, I forget all about it and am glad I didn't buy anything! It is a learning process. The part that concerns me the most is not yet being able to save for a rainy day. I guess that will come in time. I just hope it doesn't rain to soon!! lol. Even though I haven't posted much, I have asked several questions, and just reading the posts on this site almost every night, answered many of my questions or at least helped me know what to ask my atty. (We did have a good one) It relieved a lot of stress. We are still waiting for all the claims to come it, I'm not sure how much more time they have, we were confirmed 60 days ago. Some of them haven't filed yet. I'm not sure what happens if they don't. Good Luck!
                        Ch13 filed 1/13/11, 341 held 2/17/11, Confirmed 3/23/11
                        1% to unsecured creditors
                        25 down, 15 to go! Thanks to all for your help here on the Forum!

Comment

thanks so much for your post indebt00. My wife and I are on the hinge of filing and are really curious on hellish (or not) life is going to be. We're willing to make the sacrifices necessary to eliminate the burden of the debt and start fresh... but do realize that it will be tough... we just wonder in what way ? ? we've already been credit card free for several months.

Comment

Congratulations to you! Thank you for checking in and giving us your progress report. 'Hub and I filed Ch7, and were discharged, and finally closed. But I can relate to what you say about having no credit cards. I still have some learning to do also.

Please keep checking in and let us know how it goes for you!
                            "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X