2nd credit counseling class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd credit counseling class

When do I take the 2nd required credit counseling class if I am filing a C-13. Is that after it is filed or after the 3 years before I am discharged?

Thanks!
    Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

You can take it after you are confirmed but it must be completed before you can be discharged. Some people take it right after confirmation and others wait.

22 payments done!
    Discharged 5/2015

Comment

Some districts have a specific schedule to take the second post-filing debtor education class - usually it's within 12-24 months after filing. Other districts have no specific schedule.

Jange is right - you *MUST* take the post-filing debtor education class, successfully pass it, and have the credit counseling class posted to your case on PACER before you can be discharged.

There's really no advantage putting off taking the post-filing debtor education class. You might as well take it now as long as the fee doesn't negatively impact your expenses for the month too heavily. Some folks are lucky and both pre- and post-filing certification courses can be taken in your lawyer's office with the fees already paid as a part of your lawyer's fee. Others go back to the same company that did their pre-filing credit counseling course.

Just be sure that wherever you do the post-filing debtor education course that it's one that is approved by your local court. You can find a list of approved debtor education courses by state here - http://www.justice.gov/ust/eo/bapcpa...e_approved.htm

Good luck!
      Last edited by lrprn; 10-23-2011, 09:40 PM.
      I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
      06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
      07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
      10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
      01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
      09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
      06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
      08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
      Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

For us, we had to take the 2nd class before the final payment was made on our plan. I completed mine about 3 months ago (or 9 months out from our plan finishing). It's very easy I might add...
        CH13 filed 5/21/09; 341 6/17/09; confirmed 7/14/09]
        Discharged: 7/25/12

Comment

its easy but it takes about 2 hrs to do it onlinei did a course and it was cheap ,$30 dollars or so .it was in segments ,you had to watch each segment and they would give you a code and at the end ,you had to enter each segments code to prove you watched the whole video presentation.

Comment

In my district believe it or not, the Trustee does a class for you before your 341...actually spouse says it's pretty nice..and FREE!!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X