2nd Debtors Course

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd Debtors Course

I was reading my BK information from my attorney and it states in there that I must take the 2nd debtors course within 75 days of filing. They stated their office does it and to call "what's his name" to schedule it.

So I call him and he tells me he is going to send me an envelope with the information I need for our 45 minute phone call. Once I receive it I should call him to set up a time to meet. I need to go get a money order for $78 made out to my attorney's office and copy the photo side of my driver's license. I keep that until the phone meeting and then mail it to him.

I asked him if people in chapter 13 needed to do this within 75 days of filing and he said "no, but it's best to just get it out of the way"

I told him fine, send me the packet.

Now I'm thinking....$78 that's pretty high for something like this.

I'm sure that there is somewhere else to get this done for a lot cheaper but then I'm thinking I just want everything to go smoothly and if something goes wrong at least I did the class with someone at my attorney's office.

Thoughts? I'm in a 3 year chapter 13 so I have time. I'm a little bit irritated that they didn't state that chapter 13 filers had until their discharge. What they said simply is that if you don't take the course within 75 days you won't be discharged. Sounds like a ploy to get them more business for the debtors course.
    Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

I don't *think* you are required to take it from your attorney. They have the classes online (you can get the approved list for your state at your BK Court website). I also don't think the 75 day thing is legit - they just don't want to chase clients down to get it done at the end of the BK.

I know some of these classes are $5-10. Ours was $25 - took 2 hours, but it was online - and you just filed your nails waiting for the timer to elapse in order to spend the minimum time on each page. They emailed a certificate that our attorney filed with the BK Court.

$78 is REDONKULOUS. That is almost a Trustee payment for you.
    ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
    Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

Originally posted by ValleYum View Post
      $78 is REDONKULOUS. That is almost a Trustee payment for you.
      Exactly! He was pretty aggressive saying "when do you think you could get a money order, one week, two weeks, three weeks" I said I don't know maybe a few weeks. I hardly have the money to pay my $100 month. I have 3 years to do this and I doubt I will forget about it so I will just do some research and find somewhere cheaper. I'm sure that if I get the packet and I don't call them they will contact me I'll just tell him I decided to go with another option.
      Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

Comment

Ours was included in our CH13 fee. Our attorney went through CFEFA (I think). They sent us a DVD to watch. You can't pause it for long, can't rewind or fast forward. You have to get the codes at the end of each section and write them down. With 8 kids it upset me that I had to do it at one time. So we stayed up late at night and did it to get it over with. Though our attorney did tell us that we had to have it done before discharge, we wanted tog et it over with.

Comment

We just did ours today, online, 2 hours, $28 for single filers, $38 for joint.

Comment

$78 is ridiculous! Tell your attorney you will do the class elsewhere and send him the certificate. I do agree with him that you should do it sooner rather than later. Do it as soon as you can afford to. That way, it's done before it becomes urgent. A list of approved providers of the course is at http://www.justice.gov/ust/eo/bapcpa...e_approved.htm
            LadyInTheRed is in the black!
            Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
            $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

http://http://www.academyoffinancialliteracy.com/

Mountanddo above is a link to the website I used for my second the cost is only $10.95 and takes 2 hrs. I thought I saw a post somewhere for a class that was $9.95 but can't recall the site.
              Filed: 10/29/2011 Chapter 7
              341: Scheduled for December 19, 2011

Comment

Thanks everyone. It just surprizes me that a well known bankruptcy firm is basically taking advantage of their clients. She knows that my DMI is only $100 and I'm struggling with that. You'd think they would of offered some cheapter alternatives but I guess money is money and everyone is out to make it.

Comment

We are in our 60th month about to close and I did mine in October so there is time. My cost was under 20 dollars for me and my wife.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X