House gaining equity during ch 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

House gaining equity during ch 13

We are going to file for ch 13 because we have a HELOC. We owe $240K on our first mortgage, and $100K on the HELOC (different banks). Our neighbor did a short sale on a house that has the same floor plan as us, it sold for $190K. Well, I just got some news that you would think would make me happy, but it scares me. A house just like ours (that was bank owned) just sold for $240K. We have not filed yet. What happens if during the process of paying off the debts in ch 13, you gain equity in your house?

Absolutely nothing.

Value of your home on the filing date is what counts, period.

Good luck to us all.
    No person in their right mind files a Ch. 13 with lien strip pro se. I have.Therefore, please consider me insane and clinically certifiable when reading my posts, and DO NOT take them as legal advice of any kind.Thank you.

Comment

I 2nd Shark66's comment. And. . . all the more reason to do the 13, file the AP and get a judgment sooner rather than later thus putting finality to the 2nd (assuming your complete the 13). You need to get a BPO or CMA to make sure your value is not anywhere close to $240k.

Des,

Comment

What is a BPO or CMA? We plan on filing very soon! Thank you both for your help!

Comment

Originally posted by Forza42 View Post
          What is a BPO or CMA?
          Oh, sorry. Broker's Price Opinion (BPO) and Comparative Market Analysis (CMA), both of which are cheaper than a full blown appraisal. Just make sure it is something more than a 1 page statement that the realtor or broker thinks the property is worth $x. The BPO or CMA will be attached as an exhibit to the strip off complaint.

Des

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X