charged off debts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

charged off debts

Pulled my credit report to make sure I wasn't missing anyone from my debtors list. There are a couple of charged off accounts that I had forgotten about. I am assuming that these may have been sold to a collection agency. Should I list them as they appear on my credit report with the original creditor--or is it my responsibility to call the original creditor and try to trace down the owner of the debt--if it has been sold?

I know that I am still responsible for these debts and they need to be included..just unsure about how far I need to go to hunt down the owner of the debt.

Thanks!

List the original creditor and then ask your attorney if you should find out if and who they sold the debt to. I suspect the answer will be no.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Listing the original creditor should be sufficient. Always list every creditor that you know if possible. Even those that are charged off, beyond the statute of limitations, or any other reason why they wouldn't be considered a "creditor" under any laws. Discharging the debts, even if the original lender can't pursue you under your State's non-bankruptcy laws, is a good thing!

I find that Bankruptcy's permanent discharge injunction is much more powerful than a "defense" to a lawsuit.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X