No announcement yet.

$2200 / mo payment hurts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I started too. Plan to keep them at a zero balance every month but I am starting to use them for the rewards.

Comment

Last edited by slim; 02-14-2013, 09:07 AM.

Comment

I thought securing credit during a 13 was a huge no no and grounds for dismissal unless u got permission fm trustee! Maybe its just here or i am completely wrong!!!
        Discharge date: October 2017 (will it ever get here?)

Comment

Originally posted by dmc-2008 View Post
          I thought securing credit during a 13 was a huge no no and grounds for dismissal unless u got permission fm trustee! Maybe its just here or i am completely wrong!!!
          It varies by district. In some districts, a debtor is allowed to incur a certain amount of debt without approval. In other districts, a debtor must get appproval before incurring any debt at all.

Simply applying for and getting a credit card isn't incurring debt as long as you don't use it.
          LadyInTheRed is in the black!
          Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
          $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Ahh! Wow the intricacies!! Thank you LITR!
            Discharge date: October 2017 (will it ever get here?)

Comment

As long as you pay it in full every month you could also claim you did not think you were incurring debt as you always paid in full.
              You were incurring debt, but it is a reasonable argument to claim stupidity and plea for mercy.
              Filed CH13 - 06/2009
              Confirmed - 01/2010

Comment

Our payment is 1800/mo and we pay our mortgage (1800) outside the BK13. I'd love for Obama to overturn this BK13 crap. I am surprised no one has even talked about it in congress.
                Filed 12/24/2009 Confirmed 9/11/12 Discharge Date 12/24/2014

Comment

Originally posted by Redsox View Post
                  Our payment is 1800/mo and we pay our mortgage (1800) outside the BK13. I'd love for Obama to overturn this BK13 crap. I am surprised no one has even talked about it in congress.
                  No offense, but that makes me laugh. I'm surprised they haven't reinstuted debtors prision!
                  Filed July 2009. Discharged 08/08/2014. Awaiting closing. We made it !!!! Woo-hoo!

Comment

$3150 and it's tough but we're half way through.

Comment

Originally posted by forgotten View Post
                      As long as you pay it in full every month you could also claim you did not think you were incurring debt as you always paid in full.
                      You were incurring debt, but it is a reasonable argument to claim stupidity and plea for mercy.
                      I wouldn't count on it.
                      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by Redsox View Post
                        A Chapter 13 is a Reorganization of the debtor. There is nothing more powerful when it comes to keeping creditors at bay. It was designed for those that "can afford" to pay "something" to creditors to have the weight of the Bankruptcy court behind them to keep creditors at bay. It has the potential of allowing thousands of dollars, if not millions, to be discharged! People who actually want to Reorganize, do not want Chapter 9, 11, 12 or 13 abolished! It is a highly effective and useful tool.

Maybe there was some sarcasm there. My payment was over $7,000/month.
                        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Justbroke, I cannot imagine someone paying over 7000$, but it is possible due to individual circumstances. My payments are close to 3000$ including Mortgage and Car payments. Good luck to all.

Comment

Originally posted by paulsk View Post
                            Justbroke, I cannot imagine someone paying over 7000$, but it is possible due to individual circumstances. My payments are close to 3000$ including Mortgage and Car payments. Good luck to all.
                            It is partially why I converted to a Chapter 7. The amount included my mortgage and arrears and 2 cars. My unsecured creditors hardly received anything (they were not scheduled to receive anything). It was just my individual circumstances.

I am in no way saying that a Chapter 13 can be... trying. I'm saying that the financial benefit of a Chapter 13, almost always FAR exceeds that of complaining about not being able to eat at Morton's once a week, or take a decent vacation every year. It is certainly a lifestyle change and was certainly an eye opener for me! I learned how to live on cash! I used a debit card for travel. I learned to budget. Secretly I wish I could budget today as I did in my Chapter 13; I could save tens of thousands a year!
                            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                            Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I have a pretty lenient trustee, but my attorney made it clear that getting a credit card while in a Chapter 13 is a huge no-no.

For me, it's just not worth the risk to have a piece of plastic in my wallet. I don't even want a car loan ever again, much less a revolving card.

Comment

So, I am almost 1.5 years into my ch13, and I just realized that an old AMEX card that I have had for about 5 years (but had never used) remained opened. I assume it slipped through the cracks since it was never used? Anyway, my question is, since this card is a carryover from pre-BK days, is it still a no-no to touch? I need to rent a car in May and was assuming I could use it (since rental car agencies give debit-users such grief). I of course don't plan to keep a balance on it. Thoughts? Sorry to derail the topic even further...

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X