Average Chapter 13 Filing Costs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Average Chapter 13 Filing Costs?

I have a exhausted my search of an attorney and now I am comparing fees to file 13.

I have summed up the cost of a 13 as this:

Lawyer fees approx $3,000 to $4,000

Average retainer fee is around $500 and I was told different amounts for up front payment being due on filing and what is wrapped up in the plan.

Court fees and credit counseling service up to $600 or so, I have a list but it varies based on whether it goes 13 or 7.

How do these figures look?

It's looking to cost at least $4,000+ to file a 13.

It entirely depends on where you live. Most Districts now post something known as the standard "no-look" fee for both Chapter 13s and Chapter 7s. Chapter 13s can be complex and the fees can be higher if you have "additional" work such as lien strips, cram downs, or other contested matters (which requires the attorney to do more work and attend more hearings).

With what you list, I don't see why a standard Chapter 13 with no lien strips, cram downs, adversarys or other contested matters, should not be in that range.
    Last edited by justbroke; 02-18-2013, 02:42 PM.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Don't forget the trustee percentage during the payback. Mine appears to be around 6% of the debts paid in BR.
      Filed 11/08, confirmed 5/09, 60 months - 100% Expect completion in May 2013 (@month 54)

Comment

Mine cost $1800 up front. Then $3000 to the lawyer and $3600 to the trustee
        . Thats $8400. For$28000 debt. Seems to high.

Comment

Wow! I am grateful mine only cost 1200.00. Hard to believe the price some folks on here have to pay an attorney.

Comment

The maximum fee that an attorney can charge for a straight, uncomplicated Chapter 13 is defined by law. In 2008, when I filed, it was in the neighborhood of $3500. All of the other necessary costs for law procedures associated with the proper filing of a Chapter 13 petition are going to be widely variable.

The trustees fees are taken from the plan base amount and are not a pre-assessed addition to the monthly payment, except perhaps in the case of individuals who are capable of paying 100 percent of their unsecured debt.

Comment

Thanks for the info Kornellred. 4800 is more than 3500, so i'll look in to this more.

Comment

Ours was $3500. $1500 was paid by our legal plan for work, and the other $2000 was rolled into the plan. We had a cram down for our two car loans.

Comment

I see price ranges from $2700.00 (low) to $3000.00 (normal).
                  All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                  Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Ours was $3500. That included a lien strip of our second mortgage. We paid $1000 up front and the rest is being paid through the plan.
                    Filed Ch 13 Feb 9, 2012, 341 meeting Mar 15, 2012, Confirmed Apr 5, 2012
                    Anticipated freedom party Apr 2015

Comment

My chapter 13 ended up being around $4,050. First was $1,800 including filing fees, and also my two credit counseling courses were included. Then I ended up paying an additional $250 to add on a forgotten creditor after filing. The final $2,000 was included in the plan.

Comment

Ours was $3,500 for the attorney and filing fees. $1,500 up front. Remainder was taken out of the first payments after our plan was confirmed. Trustee percentage is 6% of the total.
                        Filed July 2009. Discharged 08/08/2014. Awaiting closing. We made it !!!! Woo-hoo!

Comment

5 years ago, $179 filing fee which had to be paid up front and $3000 for atty. which was paid thru the plan. It was an additional $26 each (2) for adding unlisted creditors after filing.
                          Filed 11/10/08

Discharged 2/18/14

Comment

AZ/PHX area around $1250 to file the CH13 with all fees included unless there are problems....

Comment

I was quoted 4K and $2400 was required up front. Rest in repayment plan (which I ended up qualifying for Chapter 7 for $1200 lump sum).
                              Chapter 7 filed: 5/12/13 (over median - no asset) | 341 Hearing: 6/12/13 (Bass & Associates appeared for Best Buy) | Report of No Distribution: 6/12/13 | Discharged 8/18/13 | Case Closed: 8/18/13

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X