Income tax and Schedule I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Income tax and Schedule I

My attorney said we would get to keep our tax refund. However, I keep reading that the trustee gets the tax refund. On our schedule I on number 8h there is a notation of tax overpayment with dollar amount. Is this why we get to keep the tax refund? Then under the question if there is an anticipated increase or decrease within a year yes is checked. Then $1,000/12 months refund is noted. Just curious if anyone has similar notations on their paperwork.

I haven't looked but I have to give it to trustee anyway. :-(
    Discharge date: October 2017 (will it ever get here?)

Comment

Your normal refund is included in your dmi. So, your plan payment already includes the income. That is why you get to keep your refund. Has your plan been confirmed? It may be that refunds over a certain amount will have to go to the trustee.

This is something that varies by plan. So, don't worry about whether other people could keep their refunds if your attorney says you can keep yours.
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

If your average income tax refund was divided by 12 and included in your Schedule I as "other income", then you would not need to turn over any tax refund, because it was already calculated in your DMI!

(Tax overpayments are considered income for the purposes of the Means Test. Most Districts require that attorneys prepare the Schedule I with the average overpayment (refund) converted into a monthly amount, and included on Schedule I. In that manner, no income is "hidden" in tax withholding!)
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

That is good advice.

Comment

THANK YOU for the great explanations Ladyinred and justbroke!!! I understand now.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X