Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never, I can think of $250,000 reasons

Comment

Thank you so much! I just read so much doom and gloom on a lot of the post. My husband took a drastic paycut last fall. We did meet with an attorney who suggested we try to wait 6 months. Our appointment is tomorrow and I just hope I am doing the right thing. A good part of me knows it's right because we will never be able to pay off our debts without it. Time to be realistic!

Comment

I have never regretted filing and wish I would have done it sooner . I filed due to credit card debt. I was making so many minimum payments every month & getting no where fast. It was a weight lifted off my shoulders of worrying what & when to pay everyone. The stigma of having filed was a worry for me at first. But I made the right choice and am so happy too have the opportunity of a fresh start debt free .
        Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones
        Chapter 13 filed 10-21-09
        Discharged 4-13-15

Comment

I think the top answer is "wish I did it sooner"! It comes with worry and it's not easy, but it is a solution!
          Discharge date: October 2017 (will it ever get here?)

Comment

I never regretted filing. I always regretting getting into the position that I had to file, wasting so much money that I could of been saving and also not doing it sooner. 5 years later looking forward to my final years of working, socking away retirement money and enjoying our debt free life!
            Discharged 5/2015

Comment

Regret Filing.....

Originally posted by jange View Post
              I never regretted filing. I always regretting getting into the position that I had to file, wasting so much money that I could of been saving and also not doing it sooner. 5 years later looking forward to my final years of working, socking away retirement money and enjoying our debt free life!

Absolutely not.

As far as I am concerned, it is payback for them putting me in the position that I had to file anyway.

While I know I do bear some responsibility for getting myself into that position, I was one of those who were paying everything on time with little trouble in the foreseeable future, until the financial crisis of 2008 hit. What did I get for being a good customer......well all of those low interest credit cards I had jacked their interest rates up to damn near 30%. When I refused to pay one bank in particular tried to coerce me with temporary and short lived options that would've only benefit them ( like an offer to freeze the interest rate only until I was caught up on the account).

I stopped paying them.

They sued?

So I filed BK and hung them all out to dry.

Filing BK put more money in my pockets that would've went to them. And I've got a pretty sizeable cushion now as a result.
              Final Payment 7/2016

Comment

I just wish i could find a cushion!!!

Comment

Very similar to us...never paid late but we weren't making much headway either. Then when the economy fell, our payments skyrocketed.

Comment

To add to Jange's response and add to my own.

I wish I did not wait so long. I fought to the point of taking form my retirement account on many occasions to keep my pride in tact, but when I realized I was at a point where I may never be able to assist my children in life I decided to file. Is it a struggle, yes, and I hope the land at the end of this rainbow is swell. I don't know what it is like to not live check to check, but I made a goal to do so and am damn determined to obtain that goal. BK is one tool that will help me be where I want to be.
                    11/23/'10-filed ch 13. 1/6/'11-341, confirmed. Below median. Plan completed 11/30/2015. DISSCHARGED 4/4/2016.JP

Comment

Originally posted by spidge View Post
                      To add to Jange's response and add to my own.

I wish I did not wait so long. I fought to the point of taking form my retirement account on many occasions to keep my pride in tact, but when I realized I was at a point where I may never be able to assist my children in life I decided to file. Is it a struggle, yes, and I hope the land at the end of this rainbow is swell. I don't know what it is like to not live check to check, but I made a goal to do so and am damn determined to obtain that goal. BK is one tool that will help me be where I want to be.
                      Spidge I took from my 401K retirement account at work, several times, trying to keep afloat. Of course it didn't work. Just ended up deeper in debt, with $400 less a month since I took a loan. We were being sued, we consulted one attorney and he told us to get a bk attorney and file. Before that I never really thought about it.

My 401K loan has been paid back and I now put $600+ a month into the 401K. Last year I also opened Roth IRA for my husband and I, wish I could have done that sooner. My husband was unemployed for the last year and then officially retired last month so between the $1200 I am not paying the trustee and my husband's ss which starts next month, I will be truly ahead of the game for the 1st time in a very long time, so long that, I don't actually remember having real extra money.

Spidge good luck to you! The last few months will go by quickly.
                      Discharged 5/2015

Comment

Initially yes but realized it was the best decision for us. No regrets now.

Comment

Not for a minute
                          Jessica
                          Filed Chapter 7 (Minnesota): 5/23/11
                          Discharged 8/30/11, Not yet closed...

Comment

Only days like today when I have to pay in my annual work bonus to the trustee!! I am not to my 1st year down mark yet, in May, so today was bonus one of 5 paid to the trustee!! But I know in the end it will all be better, and life will be much easier, I just have to keep telling myself that. And I have to keep telling myself it is our own fault for being here anyway.

Comment

I feel your pain! I tried to break even in taxes but really screwed up And my trustee gets my refund of over 2000. What a bummer!

Comment

Spidge I took from my 401K retirement account at work, several times, trying to keep afloat. Of course it didn't work. Just ended up deeper in debt, with $400 less a month since I took a loan. .
                                Another regret I have..raiding the 401K for hardship withdrawals pre BK. That also put us in the tax hole, since I reduced tax withholdings to cover the CC debt and everything else.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X