top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WRECKED car after filing Chapter 7 and planning to surrender.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WRECKED car after filing Chapter 7 and planning to surrender.

So I was originally in a 13 for a little over a year decided the payments I was making just to really keep my car was too much. Converted over to a Chapter 7 a few weeks ago and just got into a car wreck a few days ago. My deductible is $2000 ( I know ) and the insurance company will not pay out to the body shop until they receive notification that I have paid my deductible. My car is sitting in the back of my house and I really don't see why I should scrape up the money when I was already surrendering the vehicle. What to do? If I take it to the shop they may place a lien on it for failure to pay I'm just lost. Any advice please!

Tell the lender to come and get their car. You selected "surrender" on your Statement of Intentions (SoI), right? Unfortunately, this put you without a vehicle. Since you're in a Chapter 7, you "may" be able to get a new (used) car through 722 Redemption (part of US Bank). The rates will be in the high teens from US Bank if you qualify.

What a shame. I would never carry a $2,000 deductible and I make more than 8 times that deductible a month. I currently carry a $500 deductible and the worse I ever carried was $1,000. The difference in the insurance price is almost negligible when I looked at raising the deductible. My insurance only went down like $20 over 6 months by doubling the deductible. Not worth the risk. Enough of my soap box and piling on.

If you were going to scrape up $2K, scrape it up to buy a "reliable" beater until you are back on your feat. Within 6 months after your Chapter 7 discharge, you should be able to get rates below 10% and may even receive a 4.5% rate as I did from NFCU.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Leave the car where it is. When the lender comes to get it, show them where it is and give them a copy of all documents related to the insurance claim. They can collect the insurance proceeds.

Please also check with your attorney to make sure his/her advice is the same.
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Thanks guys for responding! As crazy as it sounds my insurance rate was so high to keep it in budget I had to object to a higher deductible at the time.

Comment

Definitely check your attorney, but my colleague's advise is spot on. When the lender wants to come get it, let them come and get it. They can file a claim with your insurer should they choose.
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by jessierjohns View Post
            Thanks guys for responding! As crazy as it sounds my insurance rate was so high to keep it in budget I had to object to a higher deductible at the time.
            That's the problem with today's credit-based insurance pricing. Even 3 years out of a Chapter 7 discharge, with zero debt, and a good driving record, I received car insurance quotes which were more than twice what my peers with good credit pay--some of whom have recent tickets and/or accidents. Since my car is a beater, and worth less than $2000, I mitigated that problem by getting liability only with relatively low limits of $50,000 property damage/$50,000 death or injury to one person/$100,000 death or injury to multiple persons. If I was able to obtain reasonable pricing, I would have better car insurance.

Comment

bcohen, it is shameful that insurance companies, in all these no-fault States, can use credit-based underwriting. I understand it in part, but I have never filed a claim from any accident because I've never been in an accident (knock on cyber-wood). I still can't get traditionally underwritten vehicle insurance (that uses credit scoring), because they see the bankruptcy and act like a have the plague.

I asked an insurance person how they "insurance" score works. A bankruptcy basically give you a big target on your forehead. The model then looks at the likelihood of you filing a claim. The more credit you have available (think low utilization) and the more access to credit you have (think high credit limits), combined with your profession, education, years as a driver, accident history, ticket history, and where you live, they will give you the best rates. They figure with lots of available credit, you're less likely to file a claim! They actually want you to not file a claim if you're in an accident unless it's rally liability related.

I mean, why do we carry insurance? It's not "catastrophic" insurance but they treat it as such.

Okay, I'm back off my soap box.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X