top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are social security survivor benefits except from parent's chapter 7 bk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are social security survivor benefits except from parent's chapter 7 bk?

My son may be getting survivor benefits, he is a minor. Does that affect my filing bankruptcy?

Thanks!

MIGirl

I don't have a solid answer that I can give you. However, to the extent that those benefits, which are not your benefits, offset your costs, then there may be a case where you would need to include the amount used to offset your costs. It's no different than a non-debtor living with you and paying you money to stay in your home (or otherwise contributing to your expenses). In that case, your expenses are offset.

If you really need a good answer for Michigan then I'd seek free consults with several attorneys to find out how it's treated in Michigan (based on case law). I see that you were asking about filing Pro Se back in 2014. Did you ever file?
    Last edited by justbroke; 07-06-2016, 06:06 AM.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
      ...I see that you were asking about filing Pro Se back in 2014. Did you ever file?
      No I didn't.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X