No announcement yet.

Well. I am about to join the chapter 7 statistic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally, I would keep up on the auto payments, but let the credit card payments slide. You are just throwing money away (with the credit cards) at this point if you are planning to file bankruptcy. In my personal experience, keeping credit cards paid up to the date of filing didn't help me. However, making sure automobile loans didn't go 30 days or more past due did help me with my future refinancing. At least that's my personal experience.

Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Well. Just got a bankruptcy attorney and he advised me to move my money out of Bank of America. Who should I open a bank account with?

Comment

Originally posted by Nomoregreen View Post
        Well. Just got a bankruptcy attorney and he advised me to move my money out of Bank of America. Who should I open a bank account with?
        Not Wells Fargo!!! Maybe just a small local/regional bank.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

If there's a Navy Federal Credit Union branch near you, I would consider opening an account there. Some consider NFCU to be BK friendly. If you're not eligible via traditional methods, you could join through the Navy League. Reasons I suggest NFCU:
          - They offer secured cards that have no annual fee and offer rewards
          - They don't charge for most services like bill pay, checking, debit card, etc.
          - They're known for offering higher credit limits on unsecured products.

P.S. I work there, so I may be considered biased.

Comment

I have family that is former army and coast guard, what do I need to join? I was never military due to a hearing loss.

Comment

If you go to the Navy Federal website and click or hover over Membership and Benefits and select "Am I eligible?" If your family member is not currently an NFCU member, they'll either need to join first or you'll have to call to find out the process.

Comment

Brother can sponsor?

Comment

Brother can sponsor?
                  Yes -- if your brother is a member, or currently in the military, he will be able to sponsor you. You will be asked to provide his access number (member number). If you'd like, feel free to send me a private message if you need any help.

Comment

So I joined USAA with the intention of using it through bankruptcy. I know they are not bankruptcy friendly. I was going to join NFCU after bankruptcy. Should I wait or join now?

Comment

It's really up to you. Navy Federal will process a hard inquiry when you join and check with EWS to see if any accounts elsewhere have been closed due to fraud.

Pros for doing it now:
                      - The hard inquiry will drop off sooner the sooner you establish membership.
                      - New members are subject to a 5-day hold on check deposits in-branch. By opening the account now, you get the clock started faster.

Pros for waiting:
                      - If you need to provide bank statements for your bankruptcy, you won't have the additional account.
                      - You won't have to list it since it doesn't exist.

Neither are very compelling reasons, but that's what I came up with.

Comment

My bankruptcy is pretty straight forward. I don't have bank account issues. Literally all credit card issues. My vehicles are still current.

The only bad thing is I have used my credit cards in the last 60 days. My attorney does not seem worried even though I racked up an amount of debt. (wife and I before separation).

Leonel9, do I need to go through you to open the account? does it make a difference?

Comment

You should use whatever channel you feel most comfortable with. If you have a branch nearby, it may be beneficial to sit down with someone, so you get a debit card immediately. Otherwise, there's no major difference between online and over the phone. My goal is only to help provide my opinion/advice, not to solicit accounts.

Comment

Well I finally filed today.

my divorce is still delayed and on going.

she violated the rule 11 and her car is past due. My truck is current.

i ran out of time and wanted to file before everything went to collections.

any advice?

Comment

any advice?
                              Work with your attorney. Hopefully the divorce and the bankruptcy attorneys are coordinating. I'd hate to see you try to discharge the credit card debt, but be stuck with it in a separation agreement.

Comment

Federal court over rules state court. This was discussed in depth. Also the credit cards are in my name. My debt = I get to deal with it how I want.

Even though she was not a co debtor, she was an authorized user and will be notified.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X