Garnishment-gotta file asap!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garnishment-gotta file asap!

I put it off, I should have filed last year as I knew I had a judgment. Now a garnishment hit. I don't know if I can do this myself, but I can't pay a lawyer because they took my money! Don't know what to do.

You could file yourself -- there's groups out there like Legal Aid that often have bankruptcy clinics for those filing on their own. Start by checking them out, reading info online and going from there.

If you didn't pay your other credit card bills would you be able to save up enough to pay an attorney?

Comment

Originally posted by leonel9 View Post
      If you didn't pay your other credit card bills would you be able to save up enough to pay an attorney?
      I am not paying on any credit cards, I haven't for over 10 years. I am trying to file asap because of the garnishment for a car that was repoed about 4 or 5 years ago. Is there a certain percentage that they can take? They seemed to take quite a lot. I took my electricity off auto pay so I would have money for groceries, gas, phone, and car insurance. My next check will go mostly to my rent, I won't have much left after that. I also am worried that I will miss a lot of work going to court, and I don't want to lose my job.

I will check out legal aid, thanks for the tip.

I have a free consult with an attorney in a few days. But I may still have to do it myself.

Thanks for the reply.

Last edited by MIGirl; 02-18-2017, 05:54 PM. Reason: fix quote

Comment

Here's info on MI wage garnishment law: http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...hment-law.html

Check your local court to see if they have clinics for pro-se filers.
        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X