Making adjustments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making adjustments

I feel like my second job is slowly fading away. That income was counted during the bankruptcy and I knew it was not "guaranteed" income like a full time job usually is a dependable amount of hours. It's an "as needed" or "PRN" job that was using me consistently on weekends.

The trend in the industry right now is to cut back on PRN and due to changes in reimbursement some people are losing jobs or more likely being shifted from full to part time or 40 to 30 hours or even from full time to PRN. All these changes avoids stats looking like there are lay offs, in some states it also avoids unemployment. It's really a huge mess. There have been some lay offs, also. Fortunately, my employer is not taken this route and we still have our regular jobs, regular hours. Medicare has changed how they reimburse, but to the best of my knowledge not the amount. Medicare is also watching because they did not want patient care to suffer, but it is at some jobs. The positive is that with social media people are organizing and reporting to Medicare. I think it will level out, but for the time being jobs are not as plentiful.

That leaves me with less money coming in and the uncertainty of the job market and hoping my employer continues to not make any drastic changes because I never say never!

This was the first weekend I had no work at all and last week it was only 2 hours. I will contact the attorney if it continues to be this low. I am not sure how it effects our Chapter 13 or if our regular income would still warrant 100% payback. The second job brought in about $10,000 (before taxes I think).

On the brighter side I looked online and saw a new PRN position just listed. I have dragged my feet. I pulled out the resume and updated it, but did not get the final draft as I was waiting for references. It's a shame I can't use my current or previous 2 employers because I don't trust the two previous and my current manager is good, but is quirky.

I will get it all together tonight and apply. I am not holding my breath since I am sure there is a lot of competition. It is a place about 15 minutes from my home. I don't know what they want it could be weekdays not weekends. It could be availability for ANY day which I cannot do. I worked at this place about 12 yrs ago when it was under different management/had different name. I was there about 2 yrs.

I can't believe I have had 10 employers in 30 yrs. That is ALOT! A few were the same job that was taken over by different company! My longest job was a 7 yr stretch, the second was 5 yrs and now my current job just hit the 5 yr mark. I had left jobs when things got bad on the job in the past like having my hours or cut or having unpredictable work hours. The jobs always went sour. I only had one job I left because there were intolerable practices.

For the time being I am adjusting my budget the best I can.

I am not an expert. I just share my experiences in the Wonderful Wacky World of Chapter 13! Filed 3-30-18 Confirmed 7-11-18 Discharged 6-8-22

Hi Carmella - Good luck with the job you're applying for; I hope it will be a good opportunity for you. As for your decliningg wages, I would definitely speak to your attorney about it. Just ask how it could impact your plan and at what point should you bring what's going on to his/her attention. I would phone and ask the question now, rather then letting it bother me - why go through stress if you can found out the answer now.
    Filed Chapter 13 - 07/20/12
    Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

Carmella, I hope you get this job so close to your house and are able to hopefully get that second car you need so desperately.
      So many of our recent posts were wiped out due to the malicious hacking, that I don't remember your last post about that. I think you had some roof damage or some other home insurance damage that prevented you using your savings for the car .
      Good luck!

Comment

Barbisi we had the tree fall on the garage, but no real damage. No second car yet.
        I am not an expert. I just share my experiences in the Wonderful Wacky World of Chapter 13! Filed 3-30-18 Confirmed 7-11-18 Discharged 6-8-22

Comment

sophieanne I will wait to contact the attorney since it's only been one week I did not have work. If it happens a few weeks pay periods then I will contact the attorney. I understand about your comment to call and find out information, but I feel more comfortable if it's a pattern than just happening once or twice.

Comment

Carmella - I understand. I was just suggesting asking a scenario and saying it's just for your info. I did that a couple times while I was in my plan. It made me feel comfortable when making decisions, etc. that might impact my plan. I hope things are better now.
            Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

Carmella fingers crossed for you and the new job! Hopefully this slowly closing door with the other job is a window to a new better opportunity.

Like you said, if things continue to fluctuate, definitely let your attorney know so you guys can get a handle on it sooner rather than later. No reason to suffer and try to push through if there are other options that hopefully ease the burden of the changes you are experiencing. I'm sending you "windfall for a second car soon" vibes from the East Coast

Comment

I should have a little work tomorrow. There is a new manager in the position and she's different than the former as well as the system changing. First she said I'd have work today and what they were expecting. Well, it's quite frequent to expect more work than there actually is. The former manager must have waited until she knew instead of freaking out and trying to make sure she has help for the "worst" situation. This is telling me I could have a full day's work and then saying, nope there's only 2 hours of work. The good thing is that there is at least 2 hours tomorrow and more is expected. I HOPE to get 4-6 hours tomorrow, but I will have at least 2 hours. My manager on my full time job freaks out like that, too if they are expecting more--but expected and what happens is usually NOT the same, it's usually LESS which is why this new manager shouldn't even involve me until she knows more concrete information. I also found out they are using full time employees instead of me, which is the "right" thing to do as full time has priority (just how this type of job goes). But the sad state of affairs with these changes are that the full time employee works 6 days instead of 5 to get 40 hours.

Comment

Carmella - that is horrible; what a way to mess up employee's lives. I hope you get the hours you want tomorrow.
                  Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

Carmella - Hi! Just curious how the hours on your part time job are working out for you?
                    Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

No work this week. Sounds like it was slow, not that they gave hours to someone else this week.

I didn't hear anything from the job I applied to. I saw another position that was just listed about 25 min ride from here and I will send a resume tomorrow for that one.

Comment

Sorry to hear about both things...but I'm glad there may be another opportunity. Good luck with the application and I hope you start getting some more hours.
                        Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

Thanks. I will just keep trying. I've been through a dry spell before hopefully it picks up. My friend's husband works in the same field, full time only the one job, and he had an 8% pay cut. A friend of mine, I use to work with, at her place the low seniority people were offered to work in a different capacity. I imagine that is a pay cut for part of their 40 hours, but at least they still have benefits, but they are working under two different departments in the facility.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X