Should you disclose your bankruptcy once an offer is made

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should you disclose your bankruptcy once an offer is made

Hubby got offered a full time job and just trying to figure out if he needs to disclose our BK that discharged in January of this year.

I have seen different viewpoints on this forum. Most of them stating that you should not bring it up and only address it if brought up.

I'd love opinions on this topic

thanks
    Chapter 7 filed 11/4/10 ---- 341 Meeting 12/1/10 ---- Discharge 1/31/2011.

No.
    All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
    Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Originally posted by Fallonedward View Post
      Most of them stating that you should not bring it up and only address it if brought up.

I'd love opinions on this topic

Why did you post? By your own admission you already have opinions, plenty of them. All your post does is renew the same discussion resulting in the same diversity of opinions. It's pointless.
      Filed Chapter 7 non-consumer as a pro se. *Discharged* October 2011.

Comment

I brought it up because I'm trying to get some opinions on the topic, I do not feel it is pointless but since you do, please just don't read my post and then you will not be bothered by my post, thanks

Originally posted by ttg1 View Post
        Why did you post? By your own admission you already have opinions, plenty of them. All your post does is renew the same discussion resulting in the same diversity of opinions. It's pointless.

Comment

I just got (and accepted) a new job offer. They didn't ask and I didn't tell. Personally, I don't think it matters unless it's a job where the disclosure is mandatory, like some financial sector jobs.
          3/7/11 -

Comment

Thanks so much for your response, the position hubby accepted is a Finance Manager but he will have no contact with money he will just be reporting out the numbers

Originally posted by randian View Post
            I just got (and accepted) a new job offer. They didn't ask and I didn't tell. Personally, I don't think it matters unless it's a job where the disclosure is mandatory, like some financial sector jobs.

Comment

Congratulations on the new job, especially in this economy.

Comment

I'd say a big congrats as well, and NO, I would not disclose unless I am asked, especially after an offer has been made.
                Chapter 7 Filed: 04/21/2011, 341 Meeting: 05/31/2011, Report of No Distrubution: 06/02/2011, Discharged: 08/03/2011, Closed: 08/10/11

Comment

Originally posted by ttg1 View Post
                  That was unnecessary, and rude. This is a legitimate question.
                  "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

I totally agree with you on that AngelinaCat, ttg1 was way out of line. This forum is to help people, not to be a rude and nasty jerk to someone. It's hard enough as it is to go through this whole process. Best of luck Fallonedward, I wouldn't bring it up either.

Comment

I follow and almost everyone will tell you... (if they) don't ask, (then) don't tell. Some security situations require you to disclose. I took on a law enforcement assignment after filing and I was asked if I filed bankruptcy, how much my home was worth, and all the nitty gritty. I passed that inquiry. I also, recently had to renew my security clearance for another assignment, and again, disclosed my bankruptcy... because I was asked. If they had not asked, I would not have listed it in the paperwork at all.
                      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Just wanted to thank everyone for their help in how they would proceed. Since they did not ask Hubby is not saying anything. He starts his new job in two weeks and they told him his offer is contingent on the following: passing a drug test / background check, verification of college degree, written verification of acceptance of offer by yesterday. They asked him to bring his transcripts with him on his first day. So I'm hopeful everything works out

Comment

Fallon I agree with all above - don't ask - don't tell - background check - as I found out - can mean something OTHER than a credit report - I had a potential employer use the credit bureaus (which is a laugh) to verify my name address and DOB only...

Did hubby sign the full credit disclosure forms??

Originally posted by Fallonedward View Post
                          Just wanted to thank everyone for their help in how they would proceed. Since they did not ask Hubby is not saying anything. He starts his new job in two weeks and they told him his offer is contingent on the following: passing a drug test / background check, verification of college degree, written verification of acceptance of offer by yesterday. They asked him to bring his transcripts with him on his first day. So I'm hopeful everything works out

Comment

They are having hubby sign everything on the first day of work...so I guess all we can do is wait and hope for the best, thanks so much for the kind words

Originally posted by IamOld View Post
                            Fallon I agree with all above - don't ask - don't tell - background check - as I found out - can mean something OTHER than a credit report - I had a potential employer use the credit bureaus (which is a laugh) to verify my name address and DOB only...

Did hubby sign the full credit disclosure forms??

Comment

Hubby started his new job on Monday the 12th and his background check came back "passed". He never disclosed our bankruptcy, nor did the company bring it up. So happy that at least one of us is employed full time now. Hopefully I will find a direct hire position soon and our fresh start will be able to begin.

This position was for Accounts Receiveable Finance Manager

Just wanted to thank everyone on this post for your help and assistance

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X