Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wage Garnishment Questions - Student Loans

BKForum Community,

I was hoping to get some advisement regarding my active wage garnishment for student loans. Here is some background information that I hope helps.

studentaidgov shows:
    11 defaulted loans - total balance $34,562

ADP - Wage Garnishment Profile
    Start Date: 06/2016
    Disbursement Schedule: Every 50 Weeks
    ”Goal Amount” $56,478
    “Goal to date/Total Paid Towards Lien” $1,429.01
    15% Bi-Weekly

Within ADP you can export the payment data to a file, I can see every paycheck garnished since 2016.

Looking at the status of these payments I see some that say “Released - Payment sent to Payee” and “Paid - Payment received by payee”Which includes a check number next to those in Paid status.

A total of 48 out of 100 payments are in “Released - Payment sent to Payee” the remainder are in “Paid - Payment received by payee”

Question Number 1:
    It seems like a good chunk of my payments seem like have been sent; but not in paid status. I discussed this with ADP garnishments many months ago but they assured me all payments are being sent properly. Does this seem right? Because it doesn’t to me.

Question Number 2:
    How do I see what my remaining balance is? Through the collection agency that’s servicing the loans? I’ve had roughly $18,188 dollars garnished since 6/2016-04/2020.

I’m really trying to get a grasp on everything and work towards cleaning my life up. I’ve been working on improving my credit the past 9 months as I’m going to need a new vehicle, my 2007 is on its way out. The garnishments are basically eating up the money I would have for a car payment. I wish it was lower than 15% every check. Roughly $400 a month, some months where I get paid 3 times its $518 that month.

I can't answer #1 because only ADP can tell if the payee actually cashed the disbursement.

I don't know how to calculate your remaining balance for question #2. I would say that only the servicer would know for sure.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

thank you so much for your reply, and time.

I see payments going back to 2017 that are in “Released - Payment sent to Payee”. Is it normal for a large chunk of wage garnishments payments to be not cashed?

It obviously causes me great concern if I’m in a situation where there’s 48/100 payments that haven’t been cashed. As I have talked to ADP regarding this many months and was told “my payments are being sent don’t worry”. In essence they are being sent, but why are some cashed “Paid - Payment received by Payee” and many not?

Who is that on?

Is there any type of lawyer or business I can hire that to assist, give advisement, or coaching with this possible predicament of wage garnishment checks not being cashed against my debt?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X