Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a A/C unit for my house

Hello my name is Treshia and I filed a chapter 13
    Last edited by justbroke; 07-17-2020, 05:19 AM. Reason: [moderator removed personally identifying information.]

Welcome to BKForum. I removed your entire name because BKForum rules were created to help protect you. So we are an anonymous community of people helping each other through bankruptcy.

Purchasing a new A/C for the home while in a Chapter 13 can be difficult. First, you'll likely need permission from the Trustee if this is going to be a credit purchase. Second, and perhaps the most difficult, is finding someone that will finance an A/C while you're in an active Chapter 13. I have read about some A/C companies that now have programs where you technically "lease to own" the A/C system until paid off. There are all sorts of implications with that, including how much it will cost and whether that would cause issues in your Chapter 13.

Another way is to get an abatement from payments in your Chapter 13. That's not particularly easy since when payments resume they'll be higher, plus you'll have the new A/C costs as well. You would need to talk to your Chapter 13 attorney to figure out what makes sense.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Welcome to BKForum, I moved this topic to Chapter 13, keeping topics organized by category
      www.BankruptcyForum.com

Comment

This might be a stupid question, but for what it's worth. I am sure it's hotter in Alabama than in Ohio. Do you need an a/c unit or can you get away with window units to hold you over due to the expense and the Chapter 13. If you can find a deal that fits your budget to "lease to own" like JustBroke suggested investigating that would be great, but don't over extend yourself.
        I am not an expert. I just share my experiences in the Wonderful Wacky World of Chapter 13! Filed 3-30-18 Confirmed 7-11-18 Discharged 6-8-22

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X