Selling stuff on Facebook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selling stuff on Facebook

So I’m in the middle of my chapter 13 about three years in. I got some stuff I’d like to sell to make some extra cash around the house like a couple hundred dollar kayak and maybe an old stereo etc. nothing major just some odds and ends make a few hundred bucks. Facebook marketplace is a great place to sell things but I was curious if I list them for sale there do trustees monitor that? Do they monitor those for sale groups? Or am I giving them too much credit.

Nope; for such small numbers they couldn't be bothered. Unless you sell a big ticket item, relatively new car (which you own outright), boat, airplane, vacation home..., then you are pretty much good to go.
    Latent car nut.

Comment

Ok, thanks. I was wondering if trustees actually do monitor people on Facebook? Do they really keep track of people in bankruptcy? Or do they have the time to do that

Comment

The general rule of thumb is to keep your head down and do not attract attention whenever and wherever possible; I suppose there are some Trustees peeking at social media accounts from time to time, especially if they have reason to suspect anything. If you're really worried about it, sell your stuff through Craig's List; not much of a chance you can be traced that way.
        Latent car nut.

Comment

In a Chapter 13, so long as you're making payments the Trustee really couldn't care any less that you're selling small items... just as the others have written.
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I assume that I basically don't exist to the trustee as long as I make my payment on time every month. I'm not required to submit tax returns, so I just quietly go about my life. Take 1 vacation a year (except this year, ugh, COVID-19!) and save for my kids' college expenses. I live a quiet life, list any untaxed income (e.g. babysitting or catering income) on my taxes, keep my nose clean. If I sell something for $100 on Facebook, I am not reporting that.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X