Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2013 Nissan Sentra needs transmission replacement: have questions

Well, here we go again, as usual.
    The transmission is a closed case component, and the repair shops, including the dealer, say these vehicles are notorious for this problem. A replacement would be necessary, to the tune of about $3,500-$4000. We did a quick check on Edmunds Blue Book, and found an offer of $3100.
    Has anyone worked on these types of transmissions? Are there workarounds to a transmission? What alternatives do we have? We do have the older car (17 years old), but it's not troublesome at this time. We don't know if it will survive the bankruptcy.
    If we choose to sell the car for cash, do we need to notify the attorney/trustee?

AutoZone lists three different remanufactured transmissions for the 2013 Nissan Sentra, the three transmissions range in price from $2,268.99 through a high of $3,172.99. The two lower priced units come with a 3-year warranty, the most expensive one comes with a 4-year warranty.
    Latent car nut.

Comment

Thank you Shipo. Is that, for purchasing the transmission, or: purchasing and getting it installed?
      Another question: assuming we can just purchase it: how do we get it installed? I can ask around locally, if folks know how to do that. Thanks

Comment

That is the cost of the transmission. For a low cost, or even free installation, I would contact a local vocational school and ask if they'll do the job. I've recommended this approach to folks over the years, and they've always been able to get the work done for little or no money, and given the work is double and triple checked, it is typically as well done as a top notch shop.
        Latent car nut.

Comment

Thanks shipo,
          I called a vocational school in Denver and apparently such services like so much else here do not exist. They told me that they don't do that any more and their students didn't know the basics of fixing the engines and the liability was too high or something like that! They only work on donations or junked cars.
          Just another Colorado dead end!
          Last edited by Barbisi; 03-02-2021, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Wow, that's messed up. Granted it has been a few years, like more than 15, since I offered that kind of advice, but I'm surprised none-the-less.

Next suggestion, look for an independent shop in your area, and ask them.

One other thought, kind of a wild hair idea, I just got off the phone with my son, who lives in Denver and is a former Navy F-18 Super Hornet jet engine mechanic (and latent car guy like me). He is about to spring for some new high end tools and maybe, just maybe, he'd find this project interesting just for the cost of the tools, say, $500.
            Latent car nut.

Comment

Thanks Shipo. Well, if he knows how to remove and replace a transmission, it's worth considering. It would be rather ironic, if a Nissan Sentra tranny is harder to work on, than an F18 LOL! I, too, worked on the F18, though in a more civilian capacity on specific antenna structures. I can call around.

Comment

on another note, I am getting unusually comfortable saying, "I am in a Chapter 13 bankruptcy so I don't have access to disposable income nor credit so I need a solid quote... bla bla..."

Comment

random rant mode... I can always go to a junkyard; they're online these days wouldnt_cha_know? I ordered a stereo from a sentra; toasted it immediately upon arrival. Ordered a sun visor for the old car; worked great until the other night when I accidentally hit it and it snapped off. I just Loooooove my life! And of course Barbisi just gave me, 'that look'. Ya know the look. "How can you possibly break that? We're in a bankruptcy, and you have the nerve to break that rare artifact, the archaeological wonder - the sun visor!". My response: .... sorry.

Comment

got a quote... $3585.00 Two days for transmission to arrive, Two days labor. Car's worth about $3100 cash but then again, replacing it may cost more in initial price and repairs on a vehicle that we have no history nor knowledge with. At least we know. We shall see. This is a starting point. I can call around to see if I can beat that price, and I can maybe, talk with shipo's son as well. 11 payments to go. Then, double-bird to this. Argh.

Comment

I quickly looked at local cars selling online for $3000 or less just for some comparison, and all seemed to be around the age of my 2005 Sentra or older. That means they would be clunkers,probably would not even survive the BK13 due to additional breakdowns. Neither my husband or I are skilled with car repairs and we do not have a trusted mechanic to turn to for advice, so most likely these cars would be in worse shape than our 2013 Sentra or even the 2005. We simply can't afford to throw away that much money on a vehicle of which we know nothing of its history.
                      Last edited by Barbisi; 03-02-2021, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Another source for used transmissions is https://www.car-part.com, there are two in the Denver area with 63,000 and 66,000 miles on them for $1,800.
                        Latent car nut.

Comment

Thank you shipo!
                          We will check it out, but with out a reliable mechanic to install it, it's probably a moot point!
                          My husband told me just today that these Nissan transmissions seem to be legendary for not lasting the normal life span of a car.
                          This 2013 model has only 129,000 and should be drivable for many more. ( My 2005 Sentra already has over 200,000 miles and is still going strong despite the fact we have been driving it sparingly.)
                          Our neighbor who loves to tinker on his old cars ,advised us to junk or sell this Sentra and take the $3000 and buy some individually owned old car - the problem is 3k won't buy a newer , safe car.
                          If you know Colorado well, you know Lakewood where my husband will be returning to work sooner than later is quite a distance from the Lone Tree area. And your son may have mentioned how heavy (and dangerous) traffic is here. Accidents are frequent and cause lots of damage.
                          We both feel replacing the transmission on a car we are quite familiar with and have spent a lot of money on last year, is preferable to trying to find an old jalopy which may not last through this year. Call it choosing "the devil you know."
                          We definitely don't want to involve the trustee unless there is no other option.
                          As my great- grandfather used to say to my late mother, "I wonder what tomorrow will bring forth."
                          Last edited by Barbisi; 03-02-2021, 11:50 PM.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X