Direct Deposit question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Direct Deposit question

I've read on here that it's best to stop direct deposits before filing. My employer requires DD for my paycheck and for my travel reimbursement checks. Worse, the travel reimbursement DD's come in whenever they feel like processing them. There's no rhyme or reason to when they process them so I have no way of predicting when that money will be deposited.

Also, my daughter's child support is direct deposited.

Any advice or suggestions?

niteflytes
    Filed Ch. 7 - 11/30/06; 341 meeting 1/10/07; Discharged 3/19/07
    TU: 535

Watch your balance closely. If you have online banking access, check that on a regular daily basis. Work to keep it as low as possible.

Your Bank balance is only an issue when filing Ch 7, on the actual day you file. The lower your bank balance, the less cash asset your attny has to protect with an Exemption.
    Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
    Discharged - 12/2006
    Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
    Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

Actually, there is no particular reason to stop you direct deposit (its an overly cautious approach). The child support won't matter as it is exempt so the trustee cannot do anything with it (just make sure to claim the exemption).

Does your state allow a certain amount of your wages to be exempt, if so, be sure to claim the exemption.

Then it is just a matter of timing...you want to have as little cash as possible in your check account when you file, so you just need to make sure that your file immediately "BEFORE" the direct deposit hits your account.

Also, if your employer requires it, there is not much you can do, anyway.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I will just pay all of my bills as soon as a DD comes through and get groceries to keep my balance as low as I can. I may not have much choice as to when I file since it's escalated into an emergency situation because my lawyer is taking so long with my case and I'm facing a judgement on the 28th.

Comment

If it were me I would keep my child support seperate from my paycheck in different account. Also, you can withdraw the money once its deposited if you are worried about he paycheck.
          Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

That's a really good idea. Then I can pay things from my income account first and then use the support. Thanks!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X