401k's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

401k's

An earlier thread got me thinking today.

I signed up to contribute money into a 401k. 3% of my pay in order to get the company match. I thought this was protected under bk rules.

But maybe I should cancel it until after bk? What if they consider is disposable income and try to use it to push me into a 13? I don't remember how much it is, but less than $150 a month.
    Filed Chapter 7 Pro-Se May 29, 2008
    341 July 1, 2008
    Discharged September 4, 2008
    Closed November 10, 2008 :-)

bump...

any thoughts? anyone.....
    341 July 1, 2008

Comment

I know you cannot contribute TOO much of your own money, but I would GUESS that 3% of your pay would be protected. Actually I imagine it might not be the % that is important but the AMOUNT that represents.

This is something you would definitely want to ask an attorney unless someone here knows for sure... I don't, I'm just bumping your post so someone might answer who knows...
      <<I am NOT an attorney, my comments are anecdotal only. Contact an attorney for advice>>
      FINALLY DISCHARGED 92 DAYS AFTER THE 341! A NEW START!!!

Comment

I'm not sure I follow. If you cancel the contributions it certainly will be disposable income. I would think that would be an acceptable amount to contribute.

Comment

I had 2 401k plans due to having 2 full time jobs, total contributions added together was about $600. My trustee never blinked an eye. Part of the money going to the 401k were due to loans. The other part were additional contributions: 6% from one job and 6% from the other. Most 401ks are exempt. So if you can contribute as much as you possibly can GO FOR IT!

Catchmeifyoucan
          July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
          Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
          Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
          Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

My trustee asked when I began contibuting and she did also ask if their was a co. match. Because I had started contributing at the beginning of my employement and it was the minimum to get the max. match, she was ok with it.

I think it varies from district to district...
            Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

thanks for the replies.

i think i'm going to look into canceling it for now. I don't think it starts until Jan anyway. i signed up for it, and am planning to file in mar/apr so i don't think it was a wise decision.

better to be safe than sorry.
              341 July 1, 2008

Comment

What I was told by my attorney was it will only be suspicious if you begin contributing, or increase your contribution, around the same time you stop paying bills. It can appear that you stopping paying bills and then wanted to cover your disposable income by contributing to a 401k plan. The 'acceptable' percentage I was told was 5%... anything beyond that may be considered accessive
                (X) - Filed Chap 7 - 11.14.2007
                (X) - Free and Clear - 2.22.2008
                PreBK Scores - 467/428/434 (11/22/2007)
                PostBK Scores - 571/604/583 (3/15/2008) - Rebuilding Begins!

Comment

I heard of at least one case where the person was contributing $400/month to their 401k and the Trustee had a problem with it.

So HHM or someone: What IS the ruling on 401k voluntary contributions? Is it another grey area left up to the Trustees or local authorities to decide? How much can one voluntarily contribute to a 401k and still qualify for a Ch. 7??
                  <<I am NOT an attorney, my comments are anecdotal only. Contact an attorney for advice>>
                  FINALLY DISCHARGED 92 DAYS AFTER THE 341! A NEW START!!!

Comment

I stopped my 401k payments today. They had already started. It was something like only 59 a paycheck. I figure if asked about it I will say that I realized what financial distress I was in and stopped it because I couldn't afford it. This coincides with the fact that I will not be paying on my cc's anymore because I cannot afford it.

I don't know what I was thinking! I know it's not alot but it's starting a 401k at more than $100 a month just a few months before filing and it just looks bad.
                    341 July 1, 2008

Comment

i put 4 % in my each payday and filed and trustee didn't blink a eye. my hubby also put in 4% in his no questions there either

Comment

Yes, I get that a low % is probably ok. But not starting it just a few months before filing.

I'm just erring on the side of caution here. After the bk, I'll start it back up again.
                        341 July 1, 2008

Comment

i started mine exactly 90 before filing because that is when i became eligible to

Comment

sandhall, I appreciate your information but I've been at this job for a year now and could have started contributing last June. I feel I'm doing the best thing for me right now. but again, I do appreciate your feedback.
                            341 July 1, 2008

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X