Ride Through on Car Loan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ride Through on Car Loan

My attorney advised me to just do a ride through in case I later wanted to get another car or had difficulties and couldn't keep paying. I don't have access to the loan online and no statements are sent to me. I'm just curious if I'll be paying the entire loan balance off or just what the car's worth. I bought the car in February 2006.
    Filed 12/20/07 [X] 341 meeting 1/15/08 [X] Trustee Declines to Dismiss 2/25/08 [X] DISCHARGED AND CLOSED 03/19/08 [ X ]

You will continue paying your monthly payment until the ENTIRE balance is paid. (unless you have owned the car for more than 910 days and do a cram-down).

Comment

That's what I thought, I just wanted to make sure. Thanks!
      Filed 12/20/07 [X] 341 meeting 1/15/08 [X] Trustee Declines to Dismiss 2/25/08 [X] DISCHARGED AND CLOSED 03/19/08 [ X ]

Comment

what is a cram-down?
        12.10.2007 Filed CH 7
        01.14.2008 341 Meeting
        03.14.2008 No Objections filed :yahoo: :clapping:
        03.27.2008 Discharge of Debtor :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Comment

A cram down is a way to strip the value of a lien holders secured interest, e.g. if you are upside down on your car, you can conceivably strip the unsecured portion of the lien.

For example, if you owe $16,000 on a car that has a current market value of $9,000, and you have owned the car more than 910 days, you can get a court order striping the balance owed to the creditor to $9,000. The $7,000 deficiency balance becomes an unsecured debt and is discharged in the BK. Cram downs are more common in chapter 13's, they are rarely used anymore in chapter 7.

Comment

Once I filed I could not pay my car payment via the net AND they quit sending me bills!

I luckily had an old bill laying around from the previous month and so I took that and copied it and use that to make the payments each month.

The thing I don't like about this is knowing that if I forget a payment for a week or so, they can repossess my car! (right?)

I mean, technically they could before the bankruptcy, too, but they'd be very unlikely to do so.
            <<I am NOT an attorney, my comments are anecdotal only. Contact an attorney for advice>>
            FINALLY DISCHARGED 92 DAYS AFTER THE 341! A NEW START!!!

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post
              A cram down is a way to strip the value of a lien holders secured interest, e.g. if you are upside down on your car, you can conceivably strip the unsecured portion of the lien.

For example, if you owe $16,000 on a car that has a current market value of $9,000, and you have owned the car more than 910 days, you can get a court order striping the balance owed to the creditor to $9,000. The $7,000 deficiency balance becomes an unsecured debt and is discharged in the BK. Cram downs are more common in chapter 13's, they are rarely used anymore in chapter 7.
              I am in a chapter 7 so sounds like this would not be an option for me anyway, but just curious, does this work for leased cars too?
              12.10.2007 Filed CH 7
              01.14.2008 341 Meeting
              03.14.2008 No Objections filed :yahoo: :clapping:
              03.27.2008 Discharge of Debtor :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Comment

I'm pretty sure you can only cram down an auto loan in a chapter 13. In a chapter 7 you either reaffirm or discharge.

In a 13 you must have purchased 910 days before your filing also.

Comment

I thought you COULD cram down in a Ch. 7...

Oh, I see now, in HHM's response, above that he says they are seldom used, but apparently can be used in a Ch. 7.
                  Last edited by PaKettle; 02-28-2008, 08:04 PM.
                  <<I am NOT an attorney, my comments are anecdotal only. Contact an attorney for advice>>
                  FINALLY DISCHARGED 92 DAYS AFTER THE 341! A NEW START!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BearChaser303 View Post
                    I am in a chapter 7 so sounds like this would not be an option for me anyway, but just curious, does this work for leased cars too?
                    Nope, does not work on leased cars.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X