Quick question... creditor notification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick question... creditor notification

How do I know if a certain creditor received notification? The address I used for my Credit Union I pulled from my CR (it is a PO Box). It is NOT the address of the main office where everything else is sent.

Is it worth pulling new scores now (for personal tracking purposes)? Only one creditor has updated to IIB. Thanks!
    Last edited by sharksfan; 03-12-2008, 07:58 AM.
    Filed Ch7 3/6/08 [X]
    341 hearing 4/10/08 [X]
    Last day for Objections 6/9/08 [X]
    Discharge AND Closed 6/23/08 [X]

Most creditors have a separate address that bankruptcy information is sent to, so you're probably ok. My lawyer found the correct address to put in when filing, so yours probably did the same.
    Filed 12/20/07 [X] 341 meeting 1/15/08 [X] Trustee Declines to Dismiss 2/25/08 [X] DISCHARGED AND CLOSED 03/19/08 [ X ]

Comment

Originally posted by jdmc1973 View Post
      Most creditors have a separate address that bankruptcy information is sent to, so you're probably ok. My lawyer found the correct address to put in when filing, so yours probably did the same.
      How long did it take all of your creditors to report 'included in bankruptcy'? I guess i'm a little uneasy with this process.
      Filed Ch7 3/6/08 [X]
      341 hearing 4/10/08 [X]

Comment

Now that question I can't answer because I haven't looked at my CR since I filed. I'll look at my credit reports about a month after discharge and start to clean them up then. I wouldn't worry about what it says right now on your CR because you can't do anything about what it says yet since you are in an active bankruptcy. Wait til after discharge and then look at them and make sure everything's reporting correctly.
        Filed 12/20/07 [X] 341 meeting 1/15/08 [X] Trustee Declines to Dismiss 2/25/08 [X] DISCHARGED AND CLOSED 03/19/08 [ X ]

Comment

Sharksfan, this is one instance in which it really pays to get PACER access. If you look on the Docket Report of your case, about a week after you file, you'll see something called "BNC Certificate of Mailing - Notice of Meeting of Creditors". Open this PDF and you'll see it's a list of what was mailed and what creditors were notified electronically.

I personally would not rely on a credit bureau "IIB" score to tell me what creditors had or had not received official notification. They can tell you've declared bk once they pull your credit bureau, just from seeing any other "IIB" trade lines you have, but that does NOT constitute official notification. Rely on the BNC Certificate of Mailing for this.

Anymore, most creditors do elect to receive electronic notifications from the bk court, and if this creditor is one of them, you're gold. While it's always good to physically mail to as many addresses as you have for a creditor (shows good faith, esp if you can't find out exactly where they'd like to receive a bk notice) the fact of the matter is that if they are notified electronically the physical mailing address ceases to make any difference. Hope this helps!
          Nolo Press book on filing Chapter 7, there are others too. (I have no affiliation with Nolo Press; just a happy customer.) Best wishes to you!

Comment

I agree with Freshlikeadaisy, Pacer will give you very good information
            Filed 01/31/08
            341 03/10/08:
            Last day for Objections 05/09/2008
            DISCHARGED AND CLOSED 05/12/2008

Comment

Only 3 of my 14 creditors were notified electronically. The one I'm concerned most about wasn't one of them.
              Filed Ch7 3/6/08 [X]
              341 hearing 4/10/08 [X]

Comment

Sharksfan, you can do two things:

One, call their customer service dept and just ask if your acct has been flagged or noted in any way to indicate that you have declared bk. Often, just the call -- you get cust svc and immediately get transferred to Legal or some other department -- tells you everything you know. Find out if that P.O. Box is a payment address or what, because if it's a payment address they probably did not get the court's notice.

If they were not notified, you need to cover your ass. What you can do is get the address from your phone call, or the correspondence address off of the last bill (not the payment address) and amend your petition to include another address for this creditor. It's a $26 fee (if I remember correctly) and well worth it to ensure that they get *official* notification. If they don't, even if they know about your bk by other means they could still get your case reopened and your discharge for that particular debt overturned on the basis of non-notification. They may or may not get anywhere with it, but for $26 you can avoid the hassle and make it official.

That's my thought, anyway. Good luck!!!
                Nolo Press book on filing Chapter 7, there are others too. (I have no affiliation with Nolo Press; just a happy customer.) Best wishes to you!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X