X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$2000 Check Just came???

Ok am in chap 7 BK.

341 Meeting May 15

Fed Ex just dropped off a check for $2000 for a sweepstakes I won and totally forgot about in early january.

So am I not aloud to cash this? Can I sign it over to someone and then they give me cash?

Ugggg....cant win for losing
    Filed 4/2/08
    341 5/15/08
    Last day 7/14/08
    I am 27 years old, and I am $32,000 in credit card debt

Wow, you actually won a sweepstakes thing.

How long before the check expires?

I suppose, technically, the money is part of the BK estate since you, presumably, entered the sweepstakes before you filed; thus, any winnings, regardless of when they are received are part of your BK.

If you received it AFTER the 341 meeting, I'd tell you to just sit on it until after discharge. But since your 341 meeting is on the horizon, you could be asked some general questions from the trustee like, (have you received any money since filing....bla bla bla), and you would need to determine how to answer that.

Bottom line, hold on to the check (don't cash it), see how the 341 meeting goes, be prepared to turn it over (what I mean, don't mentally spend the money), but DO NOT volunteer the info. If the issue does not come up, then simply hold the check until discharge.

Comment

The following are email/paper scams:

1. Nigeria business & millionair inheritance proposals (emails) ;

2. Africa/National Lottery/Award email scams; (lotteries come from Microsoft, Soccer games, Olympic games. FedEx, UPS, etc.)

3. FREE Credit Cards scams.

4. Faked VISA money orders and faked awards/checks scams (paper).

Comment

Originally posted by BKOnce View Post
        The following are email/paper scams:

1. Nigeria business & millionair inheritance proposals (emails) ;

2. Africa/National Lottery/Award email scams; (lotteries come from Microsoft, Soccer games, Olympic games. FedEx, UPS, etc.)

3. FREE Credit Cards scams.

4. Faked VISA money orders and faked awards/checks scams (paper).

LOL, yep, in the back of mind, I question whether the check is legit

Comment

If it is legit look at the fine print to see if there is an experation date for cashing it. for example turning in your lotto ticket you have a year from the drawing date to collect. See if there is a limitation to the sweepstakes check, if not, hold onto it and don't say anything.

DB
          Chapter 7 filed 3/31/08
          341 5/12/08
          Last day for objection 7/11/08
          AUTOMATIC ORDER DISCHARGING DEBTOR 7/15/08 :yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

Yes I promise its 100% real check. My CU bank account and my moms CU bank account are connected, the bank statements are totally separate but they are connected as I could transfer money to hers and visversa over the internet. A week after my 341 meeting I think im just going to sign it over to her and put in her account. Oh well, not like 2000 is going to make a dent in what I owe.
            Filed 4/2/08
            341 5/15/08
            Last day 7/14/08

Comment

Question: What did you have to do to receive the check? I am very scepticle also about a sweepstakes check. Does anyone ever really win those??
              Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

Question: What did you have to do to receive the check? I am very scepticle also about a sweepstakes check. Does anyone ever really win those??

I can vouch for actually winning in a sweepstakes! I entered this 2nd chance drawing for Virginia Lottery, you mail in your losing scratchers. I would collect all the losing tickets people discard and had like 50 or so entries. 3 months later I get a letter confirming I won, I filled out an affadavit and a week later I got a $3000 check in the mail! So, its possible!

Catchmeifyoucan
                July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
                Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
                Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
                Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

Originally posted by cindylynnsmith View Post
                  It was for and essay and I basically had to challenge myself to do something they sent me a camera and I had to make weekly videos. I chose to quit smoking
                  Filed 4/2/08
                  341 5/15/08
                  Last day 7/14/08

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X