No announcement yet.

Chapter 7 and Federal Taxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was the adjustment actually made for tax year 2006?

If yes, you are correct, you need only worry about the 8 month rule.

I wouldn't worry about the fraud objection in this scenario, not worth the time and effort and you didn't actually commit fraud.

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post
      Was the adjustment actually made for tax year 2006?

If yes, you are correct, you need only worry about the 8 month rule.

I wouldn't worry about the fraud objection in this scenario, not worth the time and effort and you didn't actually commit fraud.
      Thanks. Yes. I just got all my transcripts from the IRS today for the past four years. Under tax period ending December 31, 2006 the transcript shows those adjustments made by the IRS in 2008.

After finding this board a couple of weeks ago I've been doing the little things to get myself ready to speak with an attorney before filing CH7. Assuming things are going about the same financially as they are right now then April 16th 2010 will be my filing date. I just have to order the NOLO book so that between this site and the book I should be well prepared.

Comment

i have an installment payment agreement with both federal and state (NY). i entered chapter 7 in mid-december 2009 and both NYS and federal did the direct debit from my account in december, but it seems that NYS has not did their direct debit for january. is that placed on hold/deferred until i am discharged? my lawyer did not mention anything about this to me, so i'm kind of stumped at the moment. from searching on this site, it looks like installment agreements with the IRS are placed on hold/suspended until the bankruptcy is finished. is that correct?

Comment

I was just reading this post on taxes and bk and was wondering if we should file a Motion to Determine Value of Lien. Here's our deal: 2007 & 2008 taxes are owed, around 25k. Filed bk on 1/12/10. So those tax debts don't fit within the 3 or 2 year rule. Right (2007 taxes would be filed 4/15/08, and 2008 taxes would be filed 4/15/09) This assumes my husband didn't file an extension. With this in mind, they wouldn't qualify, right? Fine, no shocker there. However, your comment on a Quasi Lien Strip might be something to think about. I am upside down in my home. Absolutely negative. Should I consider filing a Motion to Determine Value of Lien? By the way, I am not aware of a lien being placed on my home. However I have never checked my credit reports for that. You state that the lien is in place whether or not you receive a notice. Final bk papers due next week, need to know how to handle this tax debt. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by BigHairyPig View Post
            I was just reading this post on taxes and bk and was wondering if we should file a Motion to Determine Value of Lien. Here's our deal: 2007 & 2008 taxes are owed, around 25k. Filed bk on 1/12/10. So those tax debts don't fit within the 3 or 2 year rule. Right (2007 taxes would be filed 4/15/08, and 2008 taxes would be filed 4/15/09) This assumes my husband didn't file an extension. With this in mind, they wouldn't qualify, right? Fine, no shocker there. However, your comment on a Quasi Lien Strip might be something to think about. I am upside down in my home. Absolutely negative. Should I consider filing a Motion to Determine Value of Lien? By the way, I am not aware of a lien being placed on my home. However I have never checked my credit reports for that. You state that the lien is in place whether or not you receive a notice. Final bk papers due next week, need to know how to handle this tax debt. Thanks.
            Probably not worth the effort. Don't confuse the defacto lien with the actual lien. For property like homes, the IRS must file a Tax Lien. In your case, it doesn't matter; reason being, the IRS can still place a lien on your property after the bankruptcy is discharged because these are non-dischargeable taxes.

Comment

Good Question about BK 7 & Taxes

Hi Gang!

First off I want to thank everyone for being so supportive and helpful. I think I would have seriously lost my mind if it wasn't for you guys!

My question is this:

When I filed ch 7 I had no house, no land, no business and no owed taxes from the previous years. All that was discharged was credit cards & 1 consolidation loan. I kept my car.

What taxes would I owe if it was only debt that I discharged? Who would notify me if I do owe extra taxes?

I emailed my Lawyer and asked but he's a bit busy and has not gotten back to me yet.

Thanks again gang!

~M

Comment

DarthMittens, (LOVE that name!)

I am not certain from your post, but it sounds like the only debt you are asking about is debt discharged in your bankruptcy.

You don't owe tax on debt discharged in bankruptcy.

If you do receive any 1099-Cs from prior creditors on debt discharged in bankruptcy, you use Form 982 to let IRS know (on line 1a) that the debt was cancelled in a Title 11 proceeding.

Comment

Sooooo....I was able to discharge back taxes in no-asset Ch 7 last year. Received Release Of Federal Tax Lien about three weeks after the discharge.

Now IRS wants to apply my current refund to the discharged debts; doesn't the ROFTL prevent this?

I'm so confused.
                  Open your arms to change, but don't let go of your values - HH The Dalai Lama
                  Pro Se; filed no asset Ch 7 (including back taxes): 4/09
                  314 Meeting : 6/09
                  Complete Discharge 7/09 with CRFTL 8/09.

Comment

Originally posted by tk421 View Post
                    i have an installment payment agreement with both federal and state (NY). i entered chapter 7 in mid-december 2009 and both NYS and federal did the direct debit from my account in december, but it seems that NYS has not did their direct debit for january. is that placed on hold/deferred until i am discharged? my lawyer did not mention anything about this to me, so i'm kind of stumped at the moment. from searching on this site, it looks like installment agreements with the IRS are placed on hold/suspended until the bankruptcy is finished. is that correct?
                    I have a suspended installment agreement for my State taxes as well (I'm paid up on federal taxes) so I'm wondering this as well.

Does anyone know how state taxes owed are handled in ch. 7 bankruptcy?
                    I owe $328. I could pay this off now before the 341 meeting if that would help but I don't want to do that if it will botch things up.
                    Chapter 7 Filed: 2/24/10
                    341 Meeting: 3/23/10
                    Deadline for Objections: 5/24/10
                    Discharged and closed: 5/29/10

Comment

Dear HHM,

I understand that if your 1040 tax debt does *not* meet the 3-year rule, it is not dischargeable. But does that mean you don't list it on Schedule E? Or is it a "priority claim" whether or not it is dischargeable? If not Schedule E, then where do you list it? Thank you.

Comment

Great posts!!
                        If I owe for 2003 and 04 and am filing chapter 13, do I sill owe the tax liability?

Comment

2003 and 2004 are beyond 3 years assuming you file in 2010.
                          Los Angeles bankruptcy attorney, Long Beach bankruptcy lawyer handling Chapter 7 bankruptcy and Chapter 13 bankruptcy cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Derick View Post
                            Great posts!!
                            If I owe for 2003 and 04 and am filing chapter 13, do I sill owe the tax liability?
                            Strictly speaking, you still owe the tax. However, those tax years appear to be dischargeable (assuming they satisfy the criteria at the start of this thread). In chapter 13, those taxes would be treated as general unsecured creditors (class 4).

Comment

Looking for any help on filing fed taxes dating back to '02 and filing bk. What is the best way to go about doing this? Any and all comments will be appreciated.

Comment

you would need to wait 2 years from your filing date if they were filed late for them to be discharged. Even though the taxes are more than 3 years old you still have to wait 2 years when filing late.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X