top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does my Ch. 7 last year affect my taxes this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does my Ch. 7 last year affect my taxes this year?

Hi all, I have not been around here hardly at all since last year. I see some regulars still here, that's good!

As I recall, someone said that if you have a no asset case and are discharged under Ch. 7 it does not affect your tax filing. Is that correct?

My wife and I filed Ch. 7 Nov 2007, were discharged in March 08 and it was a no asset case, no properties, nothing, all was discharged.

I'm doing turbo tax and I did not see any questions about Bankruptcy there so can I assume that I will be okay not mentioning the discharge in March 2008?

Please advise or link me to info. I did a search here but did not find anything on this particular question.

Thanks.
    OOPS, I see now that someone did ask a similar question, and it looks like the answer is that the no asset 7 does not affect my tax filing. Sorry I did not find that thread before writing this one. DOH!
    <<I am NOT an attorney, my comments are anecdotal only. Contact an attorney for advice>>
    FINALLY DISCHARGED 92 DAYS AFTER THE 341! A NEW START!!!

You were discharged in the first quarter of 2008, and I assume closed. There is probably no impact on your filing. They don't generally start taking tax returns unless more than half the year has passed at the time of filing.
    May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
    July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
    September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

Hi PaKettle - I don't think there will be any impact at all, either... but I wanted to say hi and that I hope you are doing well!

Comment

Hi PaKettle nice to see you.
        I some people have been asking about 1099C and how to report them. after a BK.
        I haven't gotten any so....
        I am using turbo tax also.

http://www.bkforum.com/showthread.ph...ighlight=turbo
        See HHM's comment in this thread
        Chapter 7 07/30/2008
        341 09/17/2008
        Discharge 11/21/2008

Comment

Originally posted by TEW View Post
          Hi PaKettle nice to see you.
          I some people have been asking about 1099C and how to report them. after a BK.
          I haven't gotten any so....
          I am using turbo tax also.

http://www.bkforum.com/showthread.ph...ighlight=turbo
          See HHM's comment in this thread
          Discharged debts do not trigger 1099s, only forgiven ones.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification of what I thought was true.
            (All is well, here, more or less. I'm unemployed -after 12 years at the same place- but we're getting by. Thank goodness we don't have a bunch of debts.)
            Good luck to all!
            <<I am NOT an attorney, my comments are anecdotal only. Contact an attorney for advice>>

Comment

Originally posted by magyar123 View Post
              Discharged debts do not trigger 1099s, only forgiven ones.
              Seems I should know this but if I do I have forgotten:
              What's the difference between a discharged debt and a forgiven debt?

Comment

Discharged is poof gone, forgotten.after your C-7 is closed..Forgiven (I think) is if you've settled with the cc's and the part you didnt have to pay them is the forgiven...thats the part that they report to IRS and your given a 1099 on..
                Am I right or wrong here guys?

Comment

Originally posted by ready2puke View Post
                  Discharged is poof gone, forgotten.after your C-7 is closed..Forgiven (I think) is if you've settled with the cc's and the part you didnt have to pay them is the forgiven...thats the part that they report to IRS and your given a 1099 on..
                  Am I right or wrong here guys?
                  That's correct. If you file bankruptcy, you are protected from paying taxes on the debt discharged; however, if you settle with the creditor instead and are "forgiven" a portion of the debt, that forgiven portion is considered income in the tax year in which the debt is forgiven. The creditor will send a 1099.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

You file your taxes as usual. Your BK does not effect how YOU file your taxes.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X