Audit question- above median

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Audit question- above median

I have been a lurker for over 6 months and have found this board a comfort as well as a wealth of knowledge. We filed on 1/30/09 and our 341 is next week. We are a complicated case and were over the median. At what point does the trustee send the notice letting you know that you have been picked for an audit(which we are hoping that it won't happen but are expecting it to happen).
    With only a week left until the 341-- I wondered if they will be sending us a notice before hand on bringing more documentation. We have a great attorney and he feels we have a strong case..but knows we will probably be asked for more info...Keep checking pacer and only thing on there is one creditor making a claim... Any insight into the process and timeline of the trustee asking for more would be helpful... Also our flags read MEANSNO, DEBTED.
    Thanks!

You are usually immediately notified and generally before the 341 Meeting. It's completely random. I am talking about the automatic audit that is performed to satisfy Congress' oversight requirements of the Bankruptcy program.

But, you can be chosen by the US Trustee (UST) as a special case. Sometimes teh UST finds people over the median, and especially those with over $100K of unsecured debt, to be "interesting".

Sometimes it's painless... sometimes painful.

If the audit is the latter (the UST one), then you are usually notified just before or at the 341 Meeting that the UST is "interested" in the case.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

After we filed, we heard from the UST about 2 weeks later and its been HELL since then. Every corner is a different obstactle! I cannot wait until its over You can read up on some of my bouts, there is been alot going on with us.

We are over the median and have about 190K debt. My attorney told us this
      week that when you are over the median and have alot of debt that raises a red flag with the UST.

I must say the reg. trustee was grat. Our 341 lasted about 3 minutes. But the UST has been in our face since Oct and still is. He has extended our discharge another 90 days, so now we are looking at april for a discharge, which makes us 7 months into our BK. Not sure what the hell is going to happen. Read up on some of my threads.

Hopefully, you will skate thru.

Comment

thanks...it is so stressful the unknown... Jessegirl- I have read-- and hope I have the fortitude to get thru what you have been thru...
        Like everybody- never thought I would be here-- even writing on this forum makes it more real... But I am- we have filed and we only hope to have a FRESH START THAT WE SO DESPARETLY NEED!

Comment

I am under median, but was selected for audit. We filed on 2/3 and were selected on 2/12. We were notified by mail and probably got it around the 14th.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBankrupt33 View Post
            I am under median, but was selected for audit. We filed on 2/3 and were selected on 2/12. We were notified by mail and probably got it around the 14th.
            Did you have alot of debt? What state?

Comment

About 80K unsecured (26K of that is student loans). I'm in Colorado. Maybe it was just a random selection.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X