Can I repay myself?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I repay myself?

I have a company that has a business loan for 1million dollars that the bank has chosen not to renew in June. I can't pay it off, so we will be filing Chapter 7 due to the fact that our total debt load will be around 2million.

We are current on everything, but we are wondering if we can repay a small portion of the loan we made to the company in excess of 400K and not pay the bank? The amount might be 10K-50K.

You need a good business bankruptcy lawyer. Part will be determined by what the organization of the company is (LLC, S-Corp, Sole Prop, etc). I would venture to guess that the Trustee would see it as a preferential payment and sue to get it back from you, unless the type of business entity is really an extension of yourself (S-Corp, Sole Prop, partnership, etc).
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

How do you find a good "business" bankruptcy lawyer?

Comment

Originally posted by spearmint View Post
        How do you find a good "business" bankruptcy lawyer?
        Word of mouth. I would look to lawyers who could handle a Chapter 11. Then check the local bar to see if there are complaints.

I say check to see if they do Chapter 11s, because those are used more for business restructuring.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Well it is a S corp...what do you think?

We don't want to restructure and the costs of Chapter 11 are outrageous, if they prove to be successful.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
            Word of mouth. I would look to lawyers who could handle a Chapter 11. Then check the local bar to see if there are complaints.

I say check to see if they do Chapter 11s, because those are used more for business restructuring.
            If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by howtoplan View Post
              We don't want to restructure and the costs of Chapter 11 are outrageous, if they prove to be successful.
              I didn't mean to imply that you should file Chapter 11. I was just making an observation that a lawyer who can handle a business Chapter 11, could certainly handle a business liquidation under Chapter 7 too. But, they'd make less money on the Chapter 7.

I just wouldn't go with an ordinary consumer Chapter 7 firm.

Plus, you mentioned that it's an S-Corp. As my bud 'Hub wrote, my comments should be measured by where they are coming from... an anonymous person sitting at a keyboard at 11PM on a Thursday night... who doesn't know you from Adam.

Having wrote that, S-Corps and bankruptcy can be particularly challenging (I had one, but I let it dissolve first). Are you personally filing? Is the corporation filing? Is this closely held (one one or two people)?

See... so many questions, and I can't really tell you what one would do over the other because there may be consequences that I haven't experienced.
              Last edited by justbroke; 03-12-2009, 07:49 PM.

Comment

I wouldn't do it without as the others saying consulting a lawyer first. My gut tells me that you shouldn't do it. It would be considered and insider trade. However a lawyer in your district familiar with how the trustees there operate would be a better person to gauge the situation.
                May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
                July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
                September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

Thanks everyone...

This is a nightmare obviously and stressed beyond belief. I'm just looking for a bit of opinion. We are confident in our attorney, he handles businesses debt all the time. chapter 7 has been what two attorneys have recommended, which we consulted with very good references. We have already endured a 2.5 year civil case for the chapter S corp and are mentally exhausted trying to save a losing business. I just want to be able to recoup a bit of what invested. The other company is a C corp, which provides our living.

I do appreciate the past replies

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X