• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

341 meeting tomorrow & so nervous

I've been handling w/out atty but with paralegal. Anyone
    w/advice would be so appreciated. I filed chap 7 due to 70,000
    credit card debt. My car is leased & up next month. Live in Florida
    where our house is worth 1/2 of whats owed. Husbands not filing.
    my general 341 questions:

What should I wear? Can I hide under a baseball cap?
    My wedding ring & anniv ring is kindof flashy - does that matter?
    It begins @ 8:30A ..apparently a group goes in?
    Is it pretty much just yes/no answers?
    Anyone else afraid of crying or did tear up & if so, is that normal?

I can't wait for it to be over & hope for ch7 discharge. The consults w/
    attys said maybe they'll want a ch13 instead but I hope not. Any
    body wants to share their 341 mttg experience..please

Mine was not bad. Worried for nothing. basic questions they ask. Stop worrying.
    Believe me will be over in matter of minutes. I wore casual capri and nice shirt.
    It is more like doctor appointment to me than court hearing. Trustee being the doctor. ask her required ? to do her job, then said thank you, next,
    I had listed my jewerly as costume. One of questions was do you have any expensive jewerly, I said no. ( my diamond ring is probably not worth much) I kept my answer brief yes or no. She wants to move on. I was a little embarassed to be there, but I am sure all were. My attorney did not show up, and
    a stand in showed up 45 mins late, I did not need attorney. wish I would of one filed on my own. Good luck let us know when its over.
    chpt 7 ,5-2009

Comment

Good luck on your 341.
      Ours is set for 5/19...Florida middle district...crapping bricks here...lol
      Ch.7 filed 4/8/09
      341 5/19/09
      Ch.7 DISCHARGED 8/9/09!

Comment

Originally posted by br7cat View Post
        What should I wear? Can I hide under a baseball cap?
        Dress normally but many of these are in court buildings and don't allow mid-riff shirts, provocative dress, torn and tattered clothing, offensive wording or logos on shirts, no hats, sunglasses (unless prescribed), etc. Dress to your financial ability if you were going to church or some other less than formal event. I have seen people in everything from work uniforms to suits. I dressed business casual, no watch, little money in pocket.

My wedding ring & anniv ring is kindof flashy - does that matter?
        Don't wear your anniversary ring. It may not be exempt! Usually your wedding band/ring are exempt.

It begins @ 8:30A ..apparently a group goes in?
        These rooms are generally open to the public and people usually "enter" the main meeting room 15 minutes before their scheduled meeting. At mine, most waiting in the hall until about 15 minutes before or their lawyer told them to go in.

Is it pretty much just yes/no answers?
        Pretty much. NEVER ELABORATE. Answer the question succinctly with as few words as possible. Words are what get people in trouble. Stick to yes/no if you can. Don't say "maybe".

Anyone else afraid of crying or did tear up & if so, is that normal?
        It's actually not that bad. Little nervousness at first, but the questions are mostly benign and have to do with WHAT you put on your filing (papers). Some people have cried, but no need to... it is what it is, at that point. You should go into the room 30-45 minutes before your scheduled time (if allowed) and listen to the other cases being called! You will be surprised that MOST of them are just 5 minutes of yes/no questions and verification of your identification!
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

floridail & justbroke thanks!

floridail, the Drs appt is a good way to look @ it. Sorry your atty didn't
          show up-that would make me question his fees! Just broke,-thanks for good
          advice on anniv ring & general look. Think I already picked out what to wear & your right..we're all there for the same reason..soo

1 year ago when I told my brother how much credit card debt I owed he said "shouldn't have given it to you in the 1st place" (in a great supportive way) which is so true cause they only looked @ credit score (3yrs ago) & obviously, I couldn't afford it. Anyway, what he said sums it up.

Comment

Are people "tuned in" to the discussions? Or are people mostly in their own little worlds? I'm one of those people that gets nervous up in front of a room full of people. I hope trustees don't interpret nervous behavior like shaking and clearing of the throat as hiding anything.
            Attorney Retained 4/27/09
            Projected Ch 7 Filing Oct/09

Comment

Originally posted by tatt2monster View Post
              Are people "tuned in" to the discussions? Or are people mostly in their own little worlds? I'm one of those people that gets nervous up in front of a room full of people. I hope trustees don't interpret nervous behavior like shaking and clearing of the throat as hiding anything.
              Depends on the people in the room. Most are "listening" trying to see what it's going to be like for them. And, the Trustee (or their designee) is not trying to be "quiet" about it. I mean, the first thing they say after calling you to the table is "is there anyone here in this case" (basically asking creditors to come forward).

However, even the most prepared person (like myself) is nervous when they get to the table. After the first 30 seconds to 1 minute... you should be fine. You usually have your BACK to the "audience", so you only have to look at the Trustee! Just pretend you're talking to him/her and only him/her, because that's all you're really doing.
              Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

My 341 meeting was this morning & I was out in 30mins. There were maybe 10 ppl in the room (9 filers & 1 had an atty). It was actually good to see the other filers & it helped me to stay calm (we're in the same boat). I was relieved that only 1 filer had an atty present. The trustee interview took about 8 mins, just yes/no qs. It was so much easier then I built it up to be. Yes, ppl can hear you but if you focus on the trustee, its ok. I'm relieved now- but still anxious about discharge details. Worst case would be a chap 13 & I'd possibly need an atty. Trustees know you don't want to be there & mine did a great job of moving the case along. Good luck to all.

Comment

Good for you, br7. I'm curious if you wore your wedding ring? ;>)

Also, can you tell me what paperwork you took with you -- bank statements, check stubs, etc.? And did the trustee look at them?

Any unusual questions asked, if you recall?

Thanks for the info.
                  Last edited by bees; 04-28-2009, 12:30 PM. Reason: adding

Comment

Congrats on getting it over with!

I have some similar questions -- if our 341 is on a week day DH will probably need to be in uniform. Will that look weird or questionable?

We will also need to bring our new baby with us -- she is nursing and I could not be away from her for that long. Will that look bad?
                    Ch 7 Filed: 4/27/09
                    341 Meeting: 6/11/09

Comment

i will have to bring our baby as well....is that allowed? wat if DH just got a new job and they dont let him leave work for a 341? THEN WHAT?
                      waiting to file in july-august,
                      waiting for Chase to begin foreclosure,
                      waiting for cc's to begin lawsuits,
                      just waiting (& "afraid")...

Comment

If your DH hasn't accepted the job yet, he needs to say when it's offered, "I'll need this day off for a previously scheduled appointment that I can't miss."

Comment

Originally posted by BkinTX View Post
                          I have some similar questions -- if our 341 is on a week day DH will probably need to be in uniform. Will that look weird or questionable?
                          Some people will "look", but it's not weird. I have seen people in uniform (shop, coverall or other "shirt with name" type uniforms). If he's a police officer, maybe not wear the uniform.

We will also need to bring our new baby with us -- she is nursing and I could not be away from her for that long. Will that look bad?
                          I believe our District is a no children District. They usually ask you to arrange childcare. Talk to your attorney about this.

Comment

Whenever I have things I need to do on workdays, I just bring clothes to change into before I leave work.
                            Filed 5/29/09
                            Discharged 9/14/09

Comment

He is military. I am sure he will want to change if it's feasible at all.

Re: childcare. I can understand why they would have that rule. There's just no way for me to be away from our newborn for that length of time (we have to travel to another city).

*sigh*
                              Ch 7 Filed: 4/27/09
                              341 Meeting: 6/11/09

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X