Attorney says at 341 they will ask you how

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attorney says at 341 they will ask you how

you got into this position. Were you guys asked this? Do I say I am a single mother who doesn't receive child support and ended up over extending myself or does that sound very whiney??
    Should I just say I overextended myself and leave it at that??
    I just want this over with.

Neither I nor anyone else having their 341 the day I did was asked anything about how they came to file bankrupcty.

Comment

I wasn't asked.

But hell, why not tell them you are a single mom, nothing whiney about that.

Raising a kid on a single income is tough, doing it in this economy, even tougher.
      And if anybody on this planet deserves to whine, it is the single moms out there!

( But I am little bit biased, cuz I'm a member of that club! )

Comment

Your lawyer may be preparing you for the worse, but I didn't get that question nor did the trustee ask anyone else when I was there. Be honest tell them that you were a single mom, do not get child support and got in over your head if it comes up, I doubt the trustee will ask.
        May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
        July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
        September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

I did not get that question here in S. Fl either. Sounds like it may be a local custom in your area.
          Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
          Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

One guy at ours was asked how but he had not worked for9 years,and his wife was working 2 jobs the trustee asked how could he not work that long,no body else was asked

Comment

My trustee did ask me how I got in this mess. I just said unable to work . she reallly don't care I do not know why they ask.
              chpt 7 ,5-2009

Comment

We were asked and simply responded that my husband got unemployed 3 separate times in one year (is currently still unemployed) and my business took a serious downturn. Didn't have to say much more than that.

Comment

I was asked, as well as everyone else that day.

My response - separation and a forthcoming divorce. The only thing the trustee said was "usually we see it the other way around, divorce then bankruptcy."

Other responses:
                  I sell real estate and this has been my worst year in 13 years.
                  Unexpectedly had another child.
                  I was laid off and I am unable to find work.

Comment

My trustee asked everyone in the room that day how they got there.

I started to say that I was young with credit cards, but then my atty piped in and said that I couldn't afford it because of my mounting student loans.

Other people said the real estate market, divorce, etc.

My atty said that my trustee was only asking it to be nosey and that they really don't need that info. If it's because your a single mother and they ask, then just tell them "I'm a single mom with a deadbeat ex-... that doesn't help with child support". I don't think you would need to go into anymore detail.

Good Luck! It's really quick and painless, so don't worry.
                    Filed Chpt 7: 3/20/09
                    341 mtg: 4/29/09
                    Discharge: 6/30/09

Comment

It was on my list of questions that could be asked, but it never was. My parents were asked though.

Comment

My attorney asked me the same question and said if asked tell the same exact thing. Keep it short and simple. Don't over explain if asked. I was never asked.

Comment

Originally posted by lostand View Post
                          One guy at ours was asked how but he had not worked for9 years,and his wife was working 2 jobs the trustee asked how could he not work that long,no body else was asked
                          Just out of curiosity, what was his answer? 9 years without working is a long time, esp with a wife working two jobs.

I'm glad I saw this thread, I'll at least have an answer ready as to how we got to where we are.
                          Ch. 7
                          Filed: 05/07/2009
                          341: 07/01/2009
                          Discharged AND closed: 09/29/2009

Comment

Originally posted by Iamtoobroke View Post
                            Neither I nor anyone else having their 341 the day I did was asked anything about how they came to file bankrupcty.
                            Same here and I watched some 10 cases roll by before us. The 341 only took an average of about 4 minutes.

Comment

Can you advise what other kinds of questions were asked? I go tomorrow. I really don't have much, I am praying to God it's 2 minutes in and out.
                              Gonna make myself sick thinking about it.
                              I sincerely hope I don't get up there and totally go blank....

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X