top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Best Buy) Claiming Computers, How long?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Best Buy) Claiming Computers, How long?

How long does Best Buy or the company that represents them have to claim their computers if they want them back? One them I would like to repair by purchasing the recovery disks, but I don't wanna do that until I know for sure they aren't going to claim them.
    Retained my attorney 09.27.08
    Filing Ch. 7 02.23.09
    341 Meeting 03.25.09 :unsure
    Discharge 05.27.09

Do they have a secured interest in it? Or do they just claim they do? I had Sears come after a bunch of stuff I'd purchased with my Sears card claiming they had a secured interest in it. That's a pile of bs so I just told them I had sold the stuff to pay living expenses. Problem solved.

Comment

It was bought on a Best Buy Card and on the papers we said that we would give them the computers back if they wanted them. Our attorneys said that they hardly ever come after them though.
      Retained my attorney 09.27.08
      Filing Ch. 7 02.23.09
      341 Meeting 03.25.09 :unsure
      Discharge 05.27.09

Comment

Don't worry about it, they aren't going to do anything.

Comment

As HHM points out, they generally don't pursue this other than a letter which asks when you're returning them. In the long run, it's really too much for them to claw back a computer. If they actually go through the trouble of getting an order or replevin (to retrieve the property), they probably spent more than it's worth with the lawyer's fee!

However, if the purchase was recent and significant, this may change their strategy.

(Purchase the recovery disk. That made me laugh!)
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Generally, used computers are worth virtually nothing, even if it says they want em back on the agreement.

Should they call and request them, well, you can handle that different ways. Personally, I would say I sold em. Or perhaps "Ya know, these damn things have so many viruses, I can't wait to be rid of em. Since my youngest threw spaghetti into that slidy slot thing on the front, they just don't seem to work right. Anyhoo, do you know if it was okay that we used REGULAR thread to sew shut that gash my boy accidentally put in that fancy screen?"

Hehe.

They don't want em or expect to get em back.

Best wishes,

DMC
            11-20-09-- Filed Chapter 7
            12-23-09-- 341 Meeting-Early Christmas Gift?
            3-9-10--Discharged

Comment

Caveat to my previous (ridiculous) post:

If these are $8k gaming computers or high end research types of boxes, and bought like yesterday, they may be a bit more serious.

If for no other reason than keeping everyone from getting the same idea.

Probably youre ok, though.
              11-20-09-- Filed Chapter 7
              12-23-09-- 341 Meeting-Early Christmas Gift?
              3-9-10--Discharged

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X