top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any tips on how to deal with the public humiliation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any tips on how to deal with the public humiliation?

OK - it's a long story and I was in a lawsuit and now the other party is spreading the news about our chapter 7. My case is being published on the radio, multiple newspapers and god only knows the tv.

life goes on, regardless of how you let it affect you. So, might as well shrug it off and focus on what you can control

Comment

Take a deep breathe and remember It will pass. Lots of people do not even read the newspaper. They printed my bankruptcy in local paper. I just thought anyone reading it , was probably thinking they should file. It is there to protect you the Law was made for a reason. You and family are most important. Not the other people. Good luck. It will pass.
      chpt 7 ,5-2009

Comment

A BK is a public record.

I filed my CH 7 and it was discharged in 2003. It was to avoid $700K in hospital bills. AFTER my discharge the hospital sent me a notice that they would put my situation in the newspaper to cause me the same hardship you are going through.

They never ended up doing that. The BEST thing I ever did was go CH 7. I have been able to start my life over, I have a new car now, a new house and plenty of new credit cards.

You do what is best for you. I am sooo glad I went CH 7. It is all behind me now.
        9/2003 FICO scores TU 498, EX 525, EQ 505 (discharge date)

2/2009 FICO scores TU 749, EX 739, EQ 676

Comment

Originally posted by GoFigure View Post
          A BK is a public record.

I filed my CH 7 and it was discharged in 2003. It was to avoid $700K in hospital bills. AFTER my discharge the hospital sent me a notice that they would put my situation in the newspaper to cause me the same hardship you are going through.

They never ended up doing that. The BEST thing I ever did was go CH 7. I have been able to start my life over, I have a new car now, a new house and plenty of new credit cards.

You do what is best for you. I am sooo glad I went CH 7. It is all behind me now.
          I realize that bankruptcy is a hard choice to make, but isn't making that kind of threat something that can open places like that up to potential lawsuits?
          sigpic
          Filed - 11/19/08;341 - 12/22/08
          Discharged - 2/23/09 ;Closed - 3/6/09
          Got my first post BK credit line - car loan - 4/9/09 On my way to recovery.

Comment

I am at the "I don't care who knows stage" I am getting a fresh start and most people are jealous and have been asking me about my filing because they are thinking about it. Don't sweat it, we all get a start over. Live and learn.

Comment

Originally posted by howtoplan View Post
              OK - it's a long story and I was in a lawsuit and now the other party is spreading the news about our chapter 7. My case is being published on the radio, multiple newspapers and god only knows the tv.
              Been there, and been there. Even though this jerk is spreading Public Record, it is also against the law to cause you personal distress. I used to know what it is called, but your lawyer would. Have him write a letter to cease this action. It is something like causing personal harm and harassment. If Mrs. C were home, she would know. She knows everything. LOL.

To do personal harm by malice is stalking in Florida. Look up your statutes and search the term stalking. Even though true, he is doing this in a malicious way and it is against the law and could be criminal as well and you would not need a lawyer then if you convince a District Attorney. We have sure been there, big time. 'Hub
              If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

I agree with CatHub, this is bordering on harassment. I"d talk to your lawyer about it and see what can be done.

Don't worry what others thing, heck 90% of the people that it reaches will ignore it. Of the others probably a majority will have no idea who you are and thus not care. Basically the dude is wasting his money.

Contact your lawyer and let him know of the threats though.
                May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
                July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
                September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

Make sure you keep the newspaper clipping and maybe record the radio and tv. Maybe sure you have your proof before they get wind of it. You want to be 1 step ahead of them. What idiots......

Comment

BK is a right under the law.
                    It does not matter what someone thinks.

Comment

My husband and I were so desperate for relief from our creditors that we decided we didn't care if the entire world found out we filed BK. Although we have found some negative and hostile attitudes (from his parents mostly, who inherited a LOT of money and so don't understand what we are going through), the few who do know have mostly been supportive and understanding. My husband was walking into his place of employment earlier today and was talking to a fellow employee who had just filed BK earlier today using the same law firm we used, and they were also walking with one of the supervisors who had filed BK before and yet another employee who had also filed. All four of them had filed BK. There are a lot more people out there who have filed than you are aware of. Most people never talk about it and so you don't even know.

I'm so sorry that you are going through this attempted public humiliation. It's a shame that news media don't have anything real to report and so have to resort to trying to shame you. Hold your head up high and remember that you have made a business decision. Don't even listen to people who try to bring you down. Best of luck to you.

Comment

Originally posted by howtoplan View Post

The first thing here is that your BK is public information. If any of the information in print or in broadcast is incorrect about your BK, then you have some ammo for a case or have the newspaper do a retraction. Otherwise, everyone in America can sue the newspaper that prints their name, town and amount of debts and assets when they file. The Star and The National Enquirer print stuff all the time about celebrities and get sued many times if the information is false. Otherwise there is not too much celebrities can do except ignore it and consider the source. You can be sure the newspaper verified your filing before they published that information stated by the other party. If it bothers you, you feel harrassed or the situation causes you pain and suffering, talk to your attorney.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

I agree you can follow Hubs advice or you can take a page out of George "W's" book. when they started asking him if he had done "coke". He wouldn't even entertain the question. Didn't give a yes or no or even dignify it with a response. Just ignor the question. If you give them fuel you will bring more attention to yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post

The first thing here is that your BK is public information. If any of the information in print or in broadcast is incorrect about your BK, then you have some ammo for a case or have the newspaper do a retraction. Otherwise, everyone in America can sue the newspaper that prints their name, town and amount of debts and assets when they file. The Star and The National Enquirer print stuff all the time about celebrities and get sued many times if the information is false. Otherwise there is not too much celebrities can do except ignore it and consider the source. You can be sure the newspaper verified your filing before they published that information stated by the other party. If it bothers you, you feel harrassed or the situation causes you pain and suffering, talk to your attorney.
                            Not to make this a bigger deal than what it is, but I went through this type of thing for eight years. After some hard times, the guy burned his credibility out.

Not to disagree with you Flamingo, but Public Figures fall under a different part of law as well as Politicians or Public Officials. A private citizen is just that, Private. Public Record is one thing and anyone ON THEIR OWN can access it. However, if a person solicits its use to intentionally damage an individual, this is a crime.

Florida Statutes

784.048 Stalking; definitions; penalties.--
                            (1) As used in this section, the term:
                            (a) "Harass" means to engage in a course of conduct directed at a specific person that causes substantial emotional distress in such person and serves no legitimate purpose.
                            (b) "Course of conduct" means a pattern of conduct composed of a series of acts over a period of time, however short, evidencing a continuity of purpose. Constitutionally protected activity is not included within the meaning of "course of conduct." Such constitutionally protected activity includes picketing or other organized protests.
                            (c) "Credible threat" means a threat made with the intent to cause the person who is the target of the threat to reasonably fear for his or her safety. The threat must be against the life of, or a threat to cause bodily injury to, a person.
                            (d) "Cyberstalk" means to engage in a course of conduct to communicate, or to cause to be communicated, words, images, or language by or through the use of electronic mail or electronic communication, directed at a specific person, causing substantial emotional distress to that person and serving no legitimate purpose.
                            (2) Any person who willfully, maliciously, and repeatedly follows, harasses, or cyberstalks another person commits the offense of stalking, a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
                            (3) Any person who willfully, maliciously, and repeatedly follows, harasses, or cyberstalks another person, and makes a credible threat with the intent to place that person in reasonable fear of death or bodily injury of the person, or the person's child, sibling, spouse, parent, or dependent, commits the offense of aggravated stalking, a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.
                            If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Personally I would not bother with threatening legal action or actually going through with a lawsuit. Too much stress and potentially too much money. (And what if you lose...it can happen).
                              I would start by ignoring it. If it persists or someone confronts you I would say in the most dignified manner....Yes, it was a business decision. Donald Trump, former President Bush and I all filed at one time or another, and much like them, it was a business decision. Then turn and walk away............
                              If they can't rattle you...they will stop...no glory!
                              Filed!!04/23/2008[X] 341 5/27/2008[X]Converted to asset case 5/26/2008 [X]
                              DISCHARGE 08/12/2008[X]
                              Converted to NO Asset case 12/15/2008[X]
                              Closed 12/16/2008 [X]:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X