top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have filed and have a 341 date...am I safe with the cash I have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have filed and have a 341 date...am I safe with the cash I have?

I filed CH7 in Ohio in the end of April and have a hearing date of June 2nd. Since I am not paying my mortgage or CC debts, I am finally starting to save some cash to get a "fresh start", but I am concerned that they can take it. Am I right in assuming that any income I earn after my filing date is exempt? I didn't win the lottery, it is just my regular income which is finally starting to accumulate in the bank. Also, do I still need to be cautious of how I spend my money? I do professional videography and need to get a lens for an upcoming job, but do not want to make a purchase if it can cause issues.

Thanks. I'm sure I will have a million more questions soon!

What you earn after you file is yours. But, if you are in the middle of a pay period when you file, they may be able to take some of the money you earned before filing that you haven't been paid yet.

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean by the middle of a pay period, I can say that the attorney filed on a Thursday and then I got paid on Friday. I get paid bi-weekly so do you think this could be an issue? Also, now that I have filed, am I free to spend my "cash" however I want or do I still need to be careful?

Originally posted by JoeBankrupt33 View Post
      What you earn after you file is yours. But, if you are in the middle of a pay period when you file, they may be able to take some of the money you earned before filing that you haven't been paid yet.

Comment

When I filed, it was 2 days before the end of the pay period (not my pay day), and the trustee was able to keep the nonexempt portion of my pay that I earned before I filed. In my case, there were 11 days in my pay period before my filing date, so he calculated 11/14 of my pay. In Colorado, 75% of that is exempt, so he kept 25% of that amount. So, you should check out your income exemptions and keep that in mind.

Now, I don't know if this is a standard calculation, but if you are in Colorado, the best time to file is right after your pay period ends.

Comment

Icicle, where in Ohio are you?
          27 May 09: File Ch7
          6 Jul 09: 341 Meeting, declared asset case, 341 continued
          6 Aug 09: Continued 341 meeting, came to settlement with TT
          6 Sept 09: Last Date for Creditor Objections

Comment

Originally posted by SuzieBK View Post
            Icicle, where in Ohio are you?
            I am also in NE Ohio....Stark County to be more specific. I am originally from Trumbull County and may end up moving back there depending on the status of my home loan after the bankruptcy. Where are you located?

Comment

What really matters is what you had at the time that you filed, not after the fact.
              Did you have less than the recommended amount for your area? Here is was like $300 total and it does vary.

Comment

What you earn after you file you keep! As far as I know, you may spend as you like after filing!
                From this day on I move FORWARD!!!
                Filed Chapter 7 on 3/20/09!
                Discharged 6/2009

Comment

Icicle, we're in Cuyahoga. If you're in the NE district, do you have to come into Cleveland for your 341?
                  27 May 09: File Ch7
                  6 Jul 09: 341 Meeting, declared asset case, 341 continued
                  6 Aug 09: Continued 341 meeting, came to settlement with TT
                  6 Sept 09: Last Date for Creditor Objections

Comment

Originally posted by smithsbryan
                    Hi.. i was in same situation about filing bankruptcy. I got solved my question from XXXXX. you can try it.
                    You need to stop answering every question with go to XXXXX as it's inappropriate. Also you are obviously promoting the site because on one post you ask if the site is okay and online is okay, and then in this post... imply that you already used that service. Enough is enough.

(Note: the name of the website was removed by myself.)
                    Last edited by justbroke; 05-27-2009, 12:43 PM.
                    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

can someone ban this smithsbryan spammer?

Comment

Originally posted by onlywayout View Post
                        can someone ban this smithsbryan spammer?
                        I've notified the mods. I'm not a mod, so I can't do that. Hopefully my plea (our pleas) will do just that.
                        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Icicle, we're in Stark County too. We just retained an attorney. I think we'll file the first of July. Good luck to you

Comment

Originally posted by SuzieBK View Post
                            Icicle, we're in Cuyahoga. If you're in the NE district, do you have to come into Cleveland for your 341?
                            Sorry to get back to you so late. We juste had our 341 in Canton, not Cleveland.

Comment

Would icicle22 or cantwait care to pm me concerning reputable attorneys in Northern Ohio?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X